Top off question

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just had a question about topping off I feel like my tank burns a lot of water off I normally top off with about 8 ounces of water a day or every other day is that a lot of is that about normal. I have a nuvo fusion 30L . Thanks for the help

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 ounces a day seems to be very little. My Nuvo 40 would go through a half gallon a day before I went with an ATO, probably because of the dry climate here!

OP
OP
johnsamm7

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's insane okay cool thanks for the information

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 ounces...... Welcome to the hobby of reefers.
I use about 2+ gallons per day.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I burn through 9 gallons a week on my 80 gallon system.

OP
OP
johnsamm7

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool I thought I was adding a lot it's nothing compared to what you guys do lol that's not to bad though thanks for all the tips.

briancarterkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65 burns about a gallon a day in the summer and about 1.5 gallons a day in the winter when the air is drier.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two to two and a half gallons per day on a 120. Take your 8oz and run with it! But since it hasn't been addressed thus far, and I'm sure you know, but I'm assuming you're topping off with fresh water, not salt.

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just had a question about topping off I feel like my tank burns a lot of water off I normally top off with about 8 ounces of water a day or every other day is that a lot of is that about normal. I have a nuvo fusion 30L . Thanks for the help

How often you top of your system will be determined by a couple things. One if you haven an open top tank or one with a canopy. Also if you have an open stand or not. The more open the system is and the climate around the tank will directly impact how much water evaporates daily. I always recommend a reliable ATO system with a backup to turn it off if it was to ever get stuck on. my 125 with a canopy and closed stand uses up about 5 gallons every 3-4 days depending on the weather and if i keep the windows open or not. the amount of water evaporating isnt anything to be concerned about what you need to make sure is that you have a consistent way to keep topping the system off for stability.

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two to two and a half gallons per day on a 120. Take your 8oz and run with it! But since it hasn't been addressed thus far, and I'm sure you know, but I'm assuming you're topping off with fresh water, not salt.
And don't buffer the fresh water top off. I may or may not be speaking from experience...:rolleyes:

OP
OP
johnsamm7

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome yea my tank is open at the top I just use a measuring cup 2 ounces at a time

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back