Top ten best acros....and go!

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve seen. These are my top 5 bucket list acros (haven’t been that impressed by many)
1: Pink Cadillac, my oh my this is a stunner. And the fact that it looks good in daylight (14k or less) and atinics is a huge plus.
2: Oregon tort, this Acro is legendary for how slow it grows. And I haven’t been able to find such a deep blue anywhere else
3: Pink Floyd, Yellow Acro? Red polyps? Sign me up.
4: Maleficent, I’m a sucker for deep colors, what can I say.
5: Pretty in Pink, I’m adding an atinic bar to my new set up just so I can see this baby in all her glory. On thread on here has several pictures of it and every time I just look at this piece for 10-20 minutes.

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no particular order, thinking about what is instantly recognizable:
Acropora suharsonoi
Acropora echinata
Acropora abrolhosensis
Acropora elegans
Acropora gemmifera
Acropora robusta
Acropora florida
Acropora plumosa
Acropora speciosa
Acropora granulosa

Runners up:
Acropora humilis
Acropora - whatever weird morph or hybrid the purple monster is
Acropora hyacinthus

Not even in 30th place:
Acropora tenuis (Yes, I said it)

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the purple monster is a very slow grower makes it one of the best acros ever? That doesn’t make any sense to me.
When I think of a great acro I would think of something that is a fast grower, nice to look at, readily available, hardy, and reasonably priced. A prime example of this is the
Walt Disney
I think the growth form, color, and overall lack of availability make this coral more desirable. Of course, these lists are all subjective. PM is known for being a slow grower, and more sensitive, then say A. Tenuis. Anything that's difficult to keep, more vulnerable to instability. You will probably feel a greater sense of accomplishment in keeping one healthy and growing. Just how I look at it, though..

If I had a top 10 list 8 of them would be different shades/colorations of A. Lokani and I would have to have some sort of Staghorn and A. Millepora

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the bleeding ave
In no particular order:

POTO Sidechick
PC Rainbow
SC Orange Passion
RRU Pink Floyd
RRC Bleeding Avenger
Tyree Pink Lemonade
WD
Vivid Rainbow Delight
UC Aquaman

...and welcoming to the scene:
Reef Geeks "Million Dollar Rainbow Millie"

IMG_5802.JPG
?

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good picks and none of the lists are identical.
One I haven't seen is the Greg Carrol / Steve Tyree Ultimate Stag. It doesn't command the ultra high prices but I love it.
OBT
Ultimate Stag
Pink Panther
Hawkins
Green Slimer
Maleficient
Confetti
JF Fox Flame
JF Solar Flare
RMF Diablo Mille

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the growth form, color, and overall lack of availability make this coral more desirable. Of course, these lists are all subjective. PM is known for being a slow grower, and more sensitive, then say A. Tenuis. Anything that's difficult to keep, more vulnerable to instability. You will probably feel a greater sense of accomplishment in keeping one healthy and growing. Just how I look at it, though..

If I had a top 10 list 8 of them would be different shades/colorations of A. Lokani and I would have to have some sort of Staghorn and A. Millepora

Yea it’s all subjective so until we define what “best” means to each posterthere is no way to debate about what should be on the list. Each reefer collects different corals for a different reason. The longer we have been in the hobby the more we appreciate stuff for different reasons. Growth rate and hardiness are for some people and then there are the hobbiests who appreciate growth form, color and the actual rarity more than anything. And like stated above some of us just reef for the sense of accomplishment and the pm gives you that in a nutshell if you can make a decent colony.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the bleeding ave
In no particular order:

POTO Sidechick
PC Rainbow
SC Orange Passion
RRU Pink Floyd
RRC Bleeding Avenger
Tyree Pink Lemonade
WD
Vivid Rainbow Delight
UC Aquaman

...and welcoming to the scene:
Reef Geeks "Million Dollar Rainbow Millie"

IMG_5802.JPG
?
Unfortunately no :( Only one on that list that I don't have. Ive been trying to track a piece of that and Angry Birds down for a while now with no luck.
Sme here might have a line on angrybird for myself, not 100% sure yet though.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it’s all subjective so until we define what “best” means to each posterthere is no way to debate about what should be on the list. Each reefer collects different corals for a different reason. The longer we have been in the hobby the more we appreciate stuff for different reasons. Growth rate and hardiness are for some people and then there are the hobbiests who appreciate growth form, color and the actual rarity more than anything. And like stated above some of us just reef for the sense of accomplishment and the pm gives you that in a nutshell if you can make a decent colony.

Exactly. It is interesting to hear all the different opinions. Like for me, I do hold growth form and growth rate higher than just color or how they look under blue lights. I tend to gravitate towards a lot of ORA corals because they fit the bill I described above. I have heard from multiple people that battlecoral acros also are good growers.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. It is interesting to hear all the different opinions. Like for me, I do hold growth form and growth rate higher than just color or how they look under blue lights. I tend to gravitate towards a lot of ORA corals because they fit the bill I described above. I have heard from multiple people that battlecoral acros also are good growers.
ORA and Battlecorals have prime real estate in all my tanks!! I like stuff that I can enjoy both in Day light and blue light all in one day they fill that demand lol.

Ora- Red and green planets, joe the coral, Hawkins, Validia.
BC-Aquatic man, Secale, Backdraft, Adam bomb.

Ora Validia
3AF6888A-212A-487B-9227-038CB659005C.jpeg

BC Backdraft table
E8335A6E-E342-4A09-A2C1-05BE7F8785BE.jpeg

BC Rainbow loom
23D5D789-27DB-48A8-A098-92A792AEA775.jpeg

Last edited:

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda just like them all :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Coolers champagne
229D1311-C65D-44E0-943C-C8D4C44E09E6.jpeg

Tricolor
40F224E7-DB8F-4A16-BAB9-859A30348146.jpeg

Pink Cadillac still recovering from being dead bc of bugs lol
609CC5C6-F97D-40B3-9362-5BE25DAD71A9.jpeg

WD daylight after raising my light up
CFAD0349-63EC-4FCE-95E7-49D608250D82.jpeg

Route 66 want my blue tips back lol
4A82C4CF-4826-4DD6-8D52-0338FCAF9CA0.jpeg

****The pink Cadillac pictures isn’t supposed to accurate don’t hate. I’m trying to get a job a RR....

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because the purple monster is a very slow grower makes it one of the best acros ever? That doesn’t make any sense to me.
When I think of a great acro I would think of something that is a fast grower, nice to look at, readily available, hardy, and reasonably priced. A prime example of this is the
Walt Disney

See I am the opposite.. The reason the Tyree purple monster is popular is it looks purple under any lighting..

The Walt Disney coral is a plain coral except under heavily blue led or actinic lighting. Put it under full spectrum lighting and it is rather bland coral.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I am the opposite.. The reason the Tyree purple monster is popular is it looks purple under any lighting..

The Walt Disney coral is a plain coral except under heavily blue led or actinic lighting. Put it under full spectrum lighting and it is rather bland coral.
While I agree to a certain extent if you have the right light high nutrients it’s colorful both ways. The picture above is straight day light no leds. I just turned the brightness down 15%.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back