Topping off with rodi looks strange?

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s a weird title but I topped off my tank with some rodi and when I put the water in it looked as if I put ammonia in a bottle or oil it, it made the water have a strange texture. I just setup my tank a few days ago and I topped off with 0ppm. I don’t think it harmed the tank but I was wondering if this is how it’s supposed to look when you put rodi water in with the saltwater.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,yes is normal,just the fresh ro mixing with the salt, kinda distorted looking ,best to add to sump,or pour in front of a return flow... :)

yoelf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s just a top off then yes the pure water will look “strange” for a few seconds till it mixes with the rest of the water.
If it’s just a top off then the overall salinity should be mostly the same if you put too much rodi in then the overall salinity will drop.
When it comes to top offs it’s really helpful be somewhat systematic with it like before I bought a automatic top of system I found out every 3 days my water would drop below a certain point so I put a piece of tape on the sump as a base marker when water levers would fall below the marker I would add.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back