OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has its mouth been opened? Even if its slightly retracted, it wouldn't be all bad but it really looks uncomfortable.

Did you use live rock for your tank?
Only noticed it open late last night after a feeding (of the tank). In the 3 days I have had it originally opened almost fully for the first 6 hours, then I did a water change, and it went to about 50% I would say. I'm hoping it's just getting acclimated to the water and lights. Guess time will tell and obviously my water results tomorrow.

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5839.jpeg
IMG_5842.jpeg

First pic feeding no flow. He seems happy as could be today. Maybe just took time to get use to the tank. Not the hammer still haven’t opened all the way. But I think it had a little trauma. It looked like when it was glued to the frag disk it split the Skelton it’s on. Maybe needs to recover from that? Will that kill it?

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok update!

The torch and hammer are open and happy. Fed them yesterday. My water looks like this,

Alk - 9-9.2
Calcium -480
Mag - 1560
Phos - .2
Nitrate - 2-3
Ammonia - 0

Seems a little low for the alk right?

I’m dosing AB+ every other day. Any other suggestions to maybe get that alk up? Or should I let it ride for a bit and see how it goes?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok update!

The torch and hammer are open and happy. Fed them yesterday. My water looks like this,

Alk - 9-9.2
Calcium -480
Mag - 1560
Phos - .2
Nitrate - 2-3
Ammonia - 0

Seems a little low for the alk right?

I’m dosing AB+ every other day. Any other suggestions to maybe get that alk up? Or should I let it ride for a bit and see how it goes?
Alk perfect imo. Be careful not to overdo it with ab+ it's gonna get your po4 up if you use it a lot. You prolly would be fine doing it once or twice a week.

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk perfect imo. Be careful not to overdo it with ab+ it's gonna get your po4 up if you use it a lot. You prolly would be fine doing it once or twice a week.
Roger. Thanks for the advice. Hammer took like a full week but it’s almost all out now. I’m adding a small wave maker to the other side as well to help with flow. It’s decent now but the back corners have a little dead spot. Hoping I can ramp it down and help the torch and hammer get a little more flow.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're probably still going to need to raise those nitrates
I agree with this statement i would raise to anywhere from 15 to 20 with phos being at a .2

Edit:
I would also try and get phos to a .1 if possible do it slowly to not shock the system....

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo I wouldn't stress over no3 too much, it will raise generally on its own. Maybe skip a water change but don't try and push it up. Again imo

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck is this?!? Poop!?? I think it came from the mouth…

Attachments

• IMG_5866.jpeg
    IMG_5866.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5867.jpeg
    IMG_5867.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 32

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now it looks deflated and weird…
Man, you're watching this torch too closely! They can change in appearance frequently throughout the day. Just keep an eye out for longer periods of possibly problematic issues. Don't stress out about changes in the normal range of their behavior. Especially since it's new!

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, you're watching this torch too closely! They can change in appearance frequently throughout the day. Just keep an eye out for longer periods of possibly problematic issues. Don't stress out about changes in the normal range of their behavior. Especially since it's new!
Lol. I just looked at the little ball. It’s all little mysis shrimp eyeballs and food in a little ball.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I just looked at the little ball. It’s all little mysis shrimp eyeballs and food in a little ball.
Don't target feed it for a while. That can be detrimental to a coral that's already stressed.

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splitting or dying? Looks like splitting to me. It didn’t like that spot so I moved it to the sand bed with more flow to help it out. Looks like is splitting right?
IMG_5923.jpeg
IMG_5925.jpeg
IMG_5924.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now another one looks as if it’s splitting!! Normal to be all sucked in like that while it splits??

Attachments

• IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5952.jpeg
    IMG_5952.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 16

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now another one looks as if it’s splitting!! Normal to be all sucked in like that while it splits??
It does look like it's getting a third head, doesn't really have anything to do with extension. It will go through ebbs and flows but you have some good fleshy bits on this torch, just work on keeping the system stable, make sure its not getting too blasted with flow and continue to let the coral get comfortable.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back