Torch acclimation, Is this normal?!

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your torches close at night?

Torch has been in tank for 3 days. About halfway open during the day and seems to close at night. Does everything look ok? Is that normal?

image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
What the heck?!! It’s mouth is like 5 times wider than normal?!? And puffy?! Normal??

Last edited:

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your torches close at night?

Torch has been in tank for 3 days. About halfway open during the day and seems to close at night. Does everything look ok? Is that normal?

image.jpg
image.jpg
Yes that is normal. Coral is getting acclimated to tank and is not comfortable yet. If it does not open fully in a week it may not like that spot. What are you parameters?

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is normal. Coral is getting acclimated to tank and is not comfortable yet. If it does not open fully in a week it may not like that spot. What are you parameters?
Waiting on phos, alk and calcium tests. (Will be here tomorrow)
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate - 1-2ppm
Ph - 8.2
tanks about 6 weeks old and just getting first diatoms in the last couple days.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate - 1-2ppm
Ph - 8.2
Need to test for alk, calcium, and magnesium. Adding a torch to a 6 week old tank is a risky move. Hopefully it does well. Let me know about other parameters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal, I had similar issues with my torches when I added them in the first 6 months. Speaking from experience they HATE Alk swings.
It’s funny I had them in for about 6 hours and then did a decent sized water change and cleaned some algae. I wonder if that could have ticked them off. Also started dosing reef energy every other day. Tests will tell the tale Thursday I guess. Hope he’s all good. Other than not coming out 100 percent seems to be happy during the day.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MERKEY @Lost in the Sauce thoughts..typically when the mouth is gaping that is a bad sign meaning its not happy...could be water issues lighting havent seen this often due to flow....but i would run testing asap....

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny I had them in for about 6 hours and then did a decent sized water change and cleaned some algae. I wonder if that could have ticked them off. Also started dosing reef energy every other day. Tests will tell the tale Thursday I guess. Hope he’s all good. Other than not coming out 100 percent seems to be happy during the day.
I think he should be fine. Just test water when those test come in.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MERKEY @Lost in the Sauce thoughts..typically when the mouth is gaping that is a bad sign meaning its not happy...could be water issues lighting havent seen this often due to flow....but i would run testing asap....
Yup. I told them to run test asap. Also adding torches at week 6 is crazy

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a thing or 2 about torch coral but @MERKEY and @Lost in the Sauce are legends among men.....hopefully they chime in but not knowing your parameters and putting coral in is a no no....i even ask what the parameters of the coral is kept in b4 purchase to avoid any swings that could stress and kill the coral some people have success with all kinds of diff. Parameters tbh and knowing could help b4 introducing just in case.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate - 1-2ppm
Ph - 8.2
Nitrates are WAY too low for LPS coral. It may be starving.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't overreact either way, it's been in there only a couple days and it looks like it has pretty good extension during the day. I'm assuming this is pretty fresh saltwater and I doubt anything in there right now is able to deplete the waters alk mag or ca. Same with po4, not seeing much nutrients in there so while they most likely are present i doubt you will see elevated phosphate numbers. As long as ammonia is 0 my concern would be pretty low here.

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't overreact either way, it's been in there only a couple days and it looks like it has pretty good extension during the day. I'm assuming this is pretty fresh saltwater and I doubt anything in there right now is able to deplete the waters alk mag or ca. Same with po4, not seeing much nutrients in there so while they most likely are present i doubt you will see elevated phosphate numbers. As long as ammonia is 0 my concern would be pretty low here.
Ammonia is zero. I had my water checked a week ago at my Lfs. He said everything was in the normal range. Calcium 440, phosphate I believe almost 0 and I don’t remember alkalinity or magnesium but “normal” according to him. I will be able to test in my own tomorrow. Thanks for all the input. Been feeding somewhat light the past couple weeks but gonna ramp it up here soon.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any coral will struggle in a 6 week old tank, and torch is one of the more sensitive delicate corals.

Good luck with it, but genuinely trying to offer helpful suggestion, get yourself some good quality test kits (not API) before buying any more corals. Water testing is really the only one way we can know what we are putting our corals into. When there is a problem, water test is the first thing to do. If you post here, its always the first question asked; what are the water parameters?

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any coral will struggle in a 6 week old tank, and torch is one of the more sensitive delicate corals.

Good luck with it, but genuinely trying to offer helpful suggestion, get yourself some good quality test kits (not API) before buying any more corals. Water testing is really the only one way we can know what we are putting our corals into. When there is a problem, water test is the first thing to do. If you post here, its always the first question asked; what are the water parameters?
I appreciate it, and I completely understand. Thank you for the input.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back