Torch coral calcium structure

wes84

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to torch corals. All the ones i have and have seen have a smooth calcium base. However, i just received two that i won on ebay. One of them’s structure looks like the others, but the other, while dipping and cleaning up the base i wiped off a loose piece of structure with my finger and it had a big open pit behind it. Is this normal or ok? TIA

61C02FFD-86FB-4ED3-B4FF-44683DFE666E.jpeg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like damage to its calcareous skeleton. Possible that calcium, alkalinity and magnesium are out of alignment. Skeleton could have gotten crushed or broken in transit or while dipping. Try dosing iodine too which helps protect tissue and aids in crabs and shrimp to be able to molt regularly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wes84

wes84

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like damage to its calcareous skeleton. Possible that calcium, alkalinity and magnesium are out of alignment. Skeleton could have gotten crushed or broken in transit or while dipping. Try dosing iodine too which helps protect tissue and aids in crabs and shrimp to be able to molt regularly.
Thank you for the reply!

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back