Torch coral emergency!

Jurgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I don't know what to do to save my torch coral. I bought it a week ago at a LRS that fraged it the same day and it has been opening up fine, but I saw that on the side of the coral is turning white. The other side looks great. I have it in low flow and putting it on the bottom side of my tank. My parameters are:
0 ammonia (3 days ago was .25)
Calcium 460 ppm
Temperature 79
Fist time I did an Alk test had 15 drops and the test result says 200-400ppm
I recently went to my LFS and they saw discoloring on the side too and said I should dip it, but I'm not sure if its going to stress it out even more. Is dipping it going to give it the best chance of survival or is there anything else that I can do to help give it a better chance? Thank you

16216090656932928278318931495461.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up and running?

You should really get a handle on reliably testing your alk, cal and mag.
As well as keeping your salinity constant.

Whats your salinity and what are you testing with?
Do you perform scheduled water changes?

Do you know the parameters of your fresh mixed salt water or NSW if you get it in bulk from the LFS?

Are you using RODI to top off?

These variables are likely the issue.

The coral will be subject to further stress as the parameters swing.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stoney corals do not do well in early systems.
The system requires rock solid chemistry in terms of water stability.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is sand blowing on it? What is your nitrate and phosphate at? Alk of 200 to 400ppm would put the range between 11.2dkh and 22.4 dkh. This is not an acceptable range. You need to use a better test to find out what your parameters actually are.

OP
OP
J

Jurgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was some sand, it's almost about 3 months old,I have two zoanthids and hammer that are looking great. When I woke up,, I found half of it in the sand. Salinity is 1.025 and I am testing with portable refractometer. Yes, about 3 gallons per week. Last week I did 7 because of the ammonia spike.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was some sand, it's almost about 3 months old,I have two zoanthids and hammer that are looking great. When I woke up,, I found half of it in the sand. Salinity is 1.025 and I am testing with portable refractometer. Yes, about 3 gallons per week. Last week I did 7 because of the ammonia spike.
I would move it just off the sand. Before making any other changes get some testing kits that work. I recommend salifert. Nitrate, phosphate and alk are the ones needed immediately. Calcium, magnesium and Ph when you can.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to calibrate your refractometer.

Back