Nero 5 stopped working and has goop on the connections

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there my Nero 5 stopped working after less than a year I popped open the controller and was met with this where the wet side cord meets the controller nothing appears to be water damaged and after a smell test almost seems like acid
IMG_5863.jpeg

I removed the wet side cord from the socket and looked inside and it almost seems like it shorted and burned since there was burn marks in the controller.

AI did send me a new wet side (under warranty) which they said it was a brand new Nero 5 NOT just the wet side so upon opening the box and seeing just the wet side it prompted me to open the controller and I saw this. The controller still turns on and the lights work however I did not want to plug in the new wet side in case it shorts that one as well.

Anyone know what this could be? And if it’s fixable.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like poor terminal contact with the black wire. Unplug it and clean the dielectric grease. Try to file the terminal on board(maybe fold a piece of 100grit sandpaper and rub on both sides of the terminal), ensure new connector terminals are not spread open. Turn clean and re apply new dielectric grease.

OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like poor terminal contact with the black wire. Unplug it and clean the dielectric grease. Try to file the terminal on board(maybe fold a piece of 100grit sandpaper and rub on both sides of the terminal), ensure new connector terminals are not spread open. Turn clean and re apply new dielectric grease.
I took a q-tip and tried to remove the excess of it but I don’t think I’ll be able to get it all. Might wait till Monday to contact AI again and let them know the issue and see if they’ll send me a new controller on warranty as well (like I thought they were)

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan. I would think they will. Maybe just add that it smelled burnt when you opened the case

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back