Inside a Nero 3

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They could just sell you a shaft, since that’s what normally breaks. It doesn’t require an entire wetside. The real problem is that EcoTech pricing is exploitive. I can’t wait for their patent to expire and someone like Jebao to release an mp10 clone for half the price. I won’t lose any sleep over eco tech losing business. I hope the Reefi uno 2 pro destroys their xr30 business. A fair profit is one thing, but EcoTech is really profiteering.

You do realize that Jebao doesn’t honor patents from anyone? If they could build a Vortech for half the cost, they would have done so already. Years ago actually. They literally started by ripping off Tunze’s design patents. They now ripoff Maxspect’s patents.

The Ecotech patent is not holding them back from making one. They simply can’t make one at a low enough cost to justify it.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that Jebao doesn’t honor patents from anyone? If they could build a Vortech for half the cost, they would have done so already. Years ago actually. They literally started by ripping off Tunze’s design patents. They now ripoff Maxspect’s patents.

The Ecotech patent is not holding them back from making one. They simply can’t make one at a low enough cost to justify it.
That's unfortunate.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to go search for all the posts for you, but here is one talking about having to buy a complete wetside because the frame only isn't available.
Good don’t bother it’s a pointless argument, they do exist and have done for years, are they readily available in stores NO, can you order them YES.
Hope you find a pump which doesn’t seem to break so easily for you.
Btw that post mentions using shrink wrap not actually getting the wet side assembly?

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the Reefi Uno Pro 2 is a beast, and I would choose it ten times out of ten over a Radion. In my opinion, it makes the Radion obsolete. The only "premium" fixture I will pay for is a Kessil. Yes, they are expensive, but other than MH you can't get that shimmer, and to me that shimmer is king. But in that case I know I'm overpaying for an aesthetic effect, and I chalk it up to decorating budget. With the Radion, you're getting less than a Reefi, it doesn't look any better, and it is twice the price.
yea i just cant justify $400+ for any piece of equipment for a 25 gallon. Im disappointed with the shimmer on the viparspectra. I do have an extra fixture and im considering re doing all the leds.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good don’t bother it’s a pointless argument, they do exist and have done for years, are they readily available in stores NO, can you order them YES.
Hope you find a pump which doesn’t seem to break so easily for you.
Btw that post mentions using shrink wrap not actually getting the wet side assembly?
I was really ticked at myself. I see ecotech doesnt offer a replacement of a 10cent part but why would they when they can force you to buy a $65 replacement wetside.
It literally mentions getting a wetside frame in the first post and that Ecotech does not sell them. And again, no, they have not sold them on their site for the last 5 years.

Last edited:

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It literally mentions getting a wetside assembly in the first post and that Ecotech does not sell them. And again, no, they have not sold them on their site for the last 5 years.
Sorry I didn’t see it say they don’t sell wet side assemblies just that they bought a complete wet side and that eco tech don’t sell a 10 cent part.
We can keep going to and fro, it’s getting boring the part exists and has done for a long time, I have bought it in the uk in the past around 5 years ago, it wasn’t readily available as in everyone has it on the shelf but my lfs happily ordered it in for my friend.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly. After spending a lot on MP10's and Nero 3's that dont last I've decided it makes more sense to buy cheap pumps. Even if a cheap brand of pump dies you can replace it several times for the cost of a more expensive pump, so i think in the long run you'll save money. I'm starting to be very skeptical of these "high end" brands companies are pushing.
Hey, I'm too lazy to read this entire thread but if you're still looking for a WaveMaker, my red sea ReefWave 25 has been running flawlessly for almost a year now, I haven't even cleaned it yet and it's doing great

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is only a year and the OP outlives that. FME, AI ain't the greatest when it comes to just giving another pump out of warranty (pre & post Bertram). They will sell you one @ a 'discount' usually.
I might be an outlier, but I purchased my original nero 3 in 2020 and just had it replaced last month due to the outer wire shielding splitting and exposing the inner wires. I was a little worried because the pump was well outside of the warranty, but I contacted AI and chatted with their rep for about 5 minutes, provided pictures and a replacement was sent out without any hassle.

As it so happens I also purchased an Orbit that had a strange issue and they sent me out a replacement with out even asking for the old one back. It was VERY easy, and I was expecting the worst. As a former customer service manager, I was impressed.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that, I do. Even ecotech pumps(last I saw) say use vinegar.
But how many threads say "don't use vinegar"? Hundreds? Maybe thousands, lol.
For sure I've the same posts. I think time is a factor tho. An hr to loosen things up and get at it with a brush. I may be alone on this. I'd be concerned if the unit had a crack or something...it'd be a whole different story...and (bigger) problem

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm too lazy to read this entire thread but if you're still looking for a WaveMaker, my red sea ReefWave 25 has been running flawlessly for almost a year now, I haven't even cleaned it yet and it's doing great
I might try another gyre like that sometime. I had one once before but I couldn't find a good spot in my tank for it, it would blow water directly into my overflow and splash.

I emailed AI about replacing the Nero motor and got this reply.
"A new motor assembly for a Nero 3 is about $53."

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back