Inside a Nero 3

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After 5 broken MP10 wet sides in a year I decided to trade those in for a set of Nero 3’s. After a little over a year one of the Nero’s has already died and since it’s dead I decided to take a hammer to and and see what’s inside. Inside the pump is wet, rusty, and filled with a sand like material that has a weird smell. I have no idea what they’re putting in these pumps but it definitely has to be leaching into the tank.
IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg
It may be sand particles ingested from stirring and if magnetic especially found with black sand.
Realize, this is a product of also Ecotech although it says Ai . . . smh

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt that it's mainly user error. Most problems generally are. My issue with ecotech is that they could just sell the ceramic shaft and they don't. They could sell it for 10$ a pop and be making a huge profit. It doesn't require an entirely new wetside. I think their lack of willingness to do this is (as I mentioned before) is profiteering, and also ecologically unethical because they are creating more plastic waste when those wetsides get thrown out for no reason other than a ceramic shaft.

I like the MP pumps for their functionality. Ethically, I find Ecotech gross and distasteful. I understand this is a niche hobby and that means prices will be relatively high, but Ecotech goes beyond the pale.
Very true.
That’s what I’m trying to tell you, you don’t need to buy a complete new wet side(see screen shot)
I like the eco tech stuff but agree most of these companies are purely about profit.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 5 broken MP10 wet sides in a year I decided to trade those in for a set of Nero 3’s. After a little over a year one of the Nero’s has already died and since it’s dead I decided to take a hammer to and and see what’s inside. Inside the pump is wet, rusty, and filled with a sand like material that has a weird smell. I have no idea what they’re putting in these pumps but it definitely has to be leaching into the tank.
IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg
Sooooo, how do you clean your pumps? Vinagar?

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a link instead lol
Oh yes, I see what you're saying. That's slightly better than a full wet side, but I meant they could just sell the ceramic sleeve. It doesn't need to be designed in such a way that the sleeve needs to come attached to the wet side frame. That is better than I realized however, so thank you.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, I see what you're saying. That's slightly better than a full wet side, but I meant they could just sell the ceramic sleeve. It doesn't need to be designed in such a way that the sleeve needs to come attached to the wet side frame. That is better than I realized however, so thank you.
Yes just the ceramic would be great and most probably cost pennies

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true.
That’s what I’m trying to tell you, you don’t need to buy a complete new wet side(see screen shot)
I like the eco tech stuff but agree most of these companies are purely about profit.
At the time when I had my MP10's you couldn't buy just the shaft part of the wetside. I'm guessing they recently added that because so many of them are breaking.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time when I had my MP10's you couldn't buy just the shaft part of the wetside. I'm guessing they recently added that because so many of them are breaking.
Na they have sold these for years, but most people stock the complete wet side.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could just sell you a shaft, since that’s what normally breaks. It doesn’t require an entire wetside. The real problem is that EcoTech pricing is exploitive. I can’t wait for their patent to expire and someone like Jebao to release an mp10 clone for half the price. I won’t lose any sleep over eco tech losing business. I hope the Reefi uno 2 pro destroys their xr30 business. A fair profit is one thing, but EcoTech is really profiteering.
I agree with you 100%. i find the prices of the xr30 and xr15 to be insane and refuse to pay it. Ive been running viparspectra for 3 years with awesome results. Theirs no denying the XR produces stunning results, but not at that price point. the crazy part is people believe they cannot be successful without using their fixtures.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could just sell you a shaft, since that’s what normally breaks. It doesn’t require an entire wetside. The real problem is that EcoTech pricing is exploitive. I can’t wait for their patent to expire and someone like Jebao to release an mp10 clone for half the price. I won’t lose any sleep over eco tech losing business. I hope the Reefi uno 2 pro destroys their xr30 business. A fair profit is one thing, but EcoTech is really profiteering.
Just took a look at the ReeFi uno 2.0 Pro fixture. Looks impressive but lets be honest here its out of my price point as well.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na they have sold these for years, but most people stock the complete wet side.
Nope, they definitely did not when I had mine. You can even check older post's here to see that people were complaining that you had to buy a complete wetside assembly.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be sand particles ingested from stirring and if magnetic especially found with black sand.
Realize, this is a product of also Ecotech although it says Ai . . . smh
No #&*$? I didnt know. The only thing that gets me PO'd about the neros is how if one piece of sand gets behind that impeller, you have to take the whole stupid thing apart to free it back up. They keep making things intentionally stupid to cause problems. So far I've been ok, but when it happens I get mad. The 3s seem a lot more susceptible than the 5s.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, they definitely did not when I had mine. You can even check older post's here to see that people were complaining that you had to buy a complete wetside assembly.
Honestly they have been around for years, a minimum of 5 years as I helped a friend repair one whilst my wifey was pregnant with our 2nd child

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took a look at the ReeFi uno 2.0 Pro fixture. Looks impressive but lets be honest here its out of my price point as well.
I agree, the Reefi Uno Pro 2 is a beast, and I would choose it ten times out of ten over a Radion. In my opinion, it makes the Radion obsolete. The only "premium" fixture I will pay for is a Kessil. Yes, they are expensive, but other than MH you can't get that shimmer, and to me that shimmer is king. But in that case I know I'm overpaying for an aesthetic effect, and I chalk it up to decorating budget. With the Radion, you're getting less than a Reefi, it doesn't look any better, and it is twice the price.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly they have been around for years, a minimum of 5 years as I helped a friend repair one whilst my wifey was pregnant with our 2nd child
Nope. Not for the MP10 anyway, didn't check the 40 or 60.

jgcarranza13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg
Wow… I have 2 Nero 5’s for about 2 years and never had an issue, but now I’ll be sure to pay extra close attention to them

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought an MP10 last week off the forum. When i got it in I went to clean the wetside more and dropped it :mad::mad:.
It cracked the ceramic shaft in half. So the ceramic only went halfway up the shaft. The pump still worked but couldnt go past around 40% or it would make a little bit of rattle.
I was really ticked at myself. I see ecotech doesnt offer a replacement of a 10cent part but why would they when they can force you to buy a $65 replacement wetside.
So I found a video a guy used heat shrink
tube

I went right downstairs and pulled the pump and did it myself. PERFECT fix. I used my kit I already had
Shrink Tube

one red then the yellow ontop. The impeller fits perfectly and spins like new without any major resistance and no wobble. I put it back in the tank and cranked to 100% and its dead silent.
Gave it a lube up of the molykote
Lube
So if anyone breaks the ceramic shaft this is a cheap easy fix

Not going to go search for all the posts for you, but here is one talking about having to buy a complete wetside because the frame only isn't available.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow… I have 2 Nero 5’s for about 2 years and never had an issue, but now I’ll be sure to pay extra close attention to them
Wish i had checked review's before I bought mine. If you start looking you will find lots of people having trouble with these pumps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back