Inside a Nero 3

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 5 broken MP10 wet sides in a year I decided to trade those in for a set of Nero 3’s. After a little over a year one of the Nero’s has already died and since it’s dead I decided to take a hammer to and and see what’s inside. Inside the pump is wet, rusty, and filled with a sand like material that has a weird smell. I have no idea what they’re putting in these pumps but it definitely has to be leaching into the tank.
IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what ever the smell is it isn’t a reef tank smell, it’s more of a chemical smell.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if maybe you got a bad one. Cause I’ve been running mine at max power since 2020

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if maybe you got a bad one. Cause I’ve been running mine at max power since 2020
Possibly. After spending a lot on MP10's and Nero 3's that dont last I've decided it makes more sense to buy cheap pumps. Even if a cheap brand of pump dies you can replace it several times for the cost of a more expensive pump, so i think in the long run you'll save money. I'm starting to be very skeptical of these "high end" brands companies are pushing.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked BRS, lots of 1 start dead pump reviews.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. if your chewing up MP10's out of warranty, what's the issue?! I'm not big on ecotech with the warranty (good and bad experiences) but the MP10/40 is at least fairly serviceable while the Nero's are a throwaway pump imo.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. if your chewing up MP10's out of warranty, what's the issue?! I'm not big on ecotech with the warranty (good and bad experiences) but the MP10/40 is at least fairly serviceable while the Nero's are a throwaway pump imo.
The ceramic on the wet side would randomly break while it was running in my tank. During the warranty period they replaced 5 wet sides. At the time a wet side I think was $70 and the pump wasn’t worth spending $70 every couple months on.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really odd. I use a mp10 and mp40 daily, one for about 7 years and the other for 10. I’ve replaced a wet side once or twice between the two of them, and I blame myself for never cleaning them.

Maybe the quality went down :(

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's wild. I have no idea how that is even possible for the MP10. I have one that is over ten years old and still running right now. All original parts.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar feelings to the posters above, 5 wetsides in a year is excessive.
I have an mp40 which is 8 years old(no longer in use) but all original and never broken the ceramic shaft.
I do have 2 mp10s one of which is 2nd hand(both owned around a year and a half now) which I had to order a new wet side for one as I wasn’t very careful when cleaning and damaged the ceramic myself. I heard it crack as I removed the magnet on a stupid jaunty angle lol it shattered into many pieces ***

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar feelings to the posters above, 5 wetsides in a year is excessive.
I have an mp40 which is 8 years old(no longer in use) but all original and never broken the ceramic shaft.
I do have 2 mp10s one of which is 2nd hand(both owned around a year and a half now) which I had to order a new wet side for one as I wasn’t very careful when cleaning and damaged the ceramic myself. I heard it crack as I removed the magnet on a stupid jaunty angle lol it shattered into many pieces ***
I still have no idea why they were breaking, one broke within a week and it didn't even look dirty.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly. After spending a lot on MP10's and Nero 3's that dont last I've decided it makes more sense to buy cheap pumps. Even if a cheap brand of pump dies you can replace it several times for the cost of a more expensive pump, so i think in the long run you'll save money. I'm starting to be very skeptical of these "high end" brands companies are pushing.
i noticed that the mp10 wet side is pure garbage. I had 3 that the ceramic shaft broke during normal use under 50% Ecotech replaced them every time without issue. I will continue to use them only because of the dry side wiring is outside the aquarium. I feel that they are charging a premium price for sub par product. The do not tell customers that the must break in the wet side. Not breaking in the wet side properly will cause it to make noise, continued use can cause the dry side to make noise as well. I will say that the app is great and the modes are fabulous. Customer service is the best ive delt with. I would be nice if they extended the warranty to say 3 years because if the price you are paying. Or engineer a wet side that will last.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i noticed that the mp10 wet side is pure garbage. I had 3 that the ceramic shaft broke during normal use under 50% Ecotech replaced them every time without issue. I will continue to use them only because of the dry side wiring is outside the aquarium. I feel that they are charging a premium price for sub par product. The do not tell customers that the must break in the wet side. Not breaking in the wet side properly will cause it to make noise, continued use can cause the dry side to make noise as well. I will say that the app is great and the modes are fabulous. Customer service is the best ive delt with. I would be nice if they extended the warranty to say 3 years because if the price you are paying. Or engineer a wet side that will last.
They could just sell you a shaft, since that’s what normally breaks. It doesn’t require an entire wetside. The real problem is that EcoTech pricing is exploitive. I can’t wait for their patent to expire and someone like Jebao to release an mp10 clone for half the price. I won’t lose any sleep over eco tech losing business. I hope the Reefi uno 2 pro destroys their xr30 business. A fair profit is one thing, but EcoTech is really profiteering.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could just sell you a shaft, since that’s what normally breaks. It doesn’t require an entire wetside. The real problem is that EcoTech pricing is exploitive. I can’t wait for their patent to expire and someone like Jebao to release an mp10 clone for half the price. I won’t lose any sleep over eco tech losing business. I hope the Reefi uno 2 pro destroys their xr30 business. A fair profit is one thing, but EcoTech is really profiteering.
They do a wet frame assembly which is basically exactly that part no:MP215(for a mp10 I think) this is about 30usd I’m in the uk and know that people stock the complete wet side assembly over these for some unknown reason.
Most of the time as far as I am aware it is user error which breaks the ceramic shaft when disassembling to clean, I know this as I have done it once and have at least 2 friends who have also admitted doing the same in the past.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have no idea why they were breaking, one broke within a week and it didn't even look dirty.
Yeah that’s very annoying to say the least, maybe a bad batch or possibly like mentioned above manufacturer quality has gone down :(

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do a wet frame assembly which is basically exactly that part no:MP215(for a mp10 I think) this is about 30usd I’m in the uk and know that people stock the complete wet side assembly over these for some unknown reason.
Most of the time as far as I am aware it is user error which breaks the ceramic shaft when disassembling to clean, I know this as I have done it once and have at least 2 friends who have also admitted doing the same in the past.
I don't doubt that it's mainly user error. Most problems generally are. My issue with ecotech is that they could just sell the ceramic shaft and they don't. They could sell it for 10$ a pop and be making a huge profit. It doesn't require an entirely new wetside. I think their lack of willingness to do this is (as I mentioned before) is profiteering, and also ecologically unethical because they are creating more plastic waste when those wetsides get thrown out for no reason other than a ceramic shaft.

I like the MP pumps for their functionality. Ethically, I find Ecotech gross and distasteful. I understand this is a niche hobby and that means prices will be relatively high, but Ecotech goes beyond the pale.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this could be the random levels of tin I keep getting in my icp results. I’m not sure if rust causes tin to rise but I have a Nero 3 and 5 and wish I never got them. Both have had problems and AI is terrible to deal with for customer support in my experience. It seems like the same way everything else is going, price goes up while quality goes down

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back