Torch coral for complete beginner?

D2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey have a few questions for you guys

so moving house in the next 6 months - 1 year i guess with the pandemic would be sooner and i just can't wait to get a tank so I'm going to get the fluval 13.5 then upg to red sea 200 and can have the fluval for my QT tank so onto the questions

1. is a torch coral ok for a beginner or should i wait till i get more experience behind me (i have done alot of research but only so much you can read untill you kind of have to just dive in and do it you're self)

2. i have heard aussie gold torches can die out of nowhere and for nothing is this true

3. is it worth risking a expensive torch coral in a fluval 13.5 or should i just stick to soft corals till i upgrade to the red sea 200

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all relative. No one knows your budget or husbandry discipline. Personally I would start with a few ricordia mushrooms and a rock of GSP. But it’s all personal preference. Those pop and are bullet proof. I wouldn’t start with an expensive coral until you get your routine down. But that’s just an opinion.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. is it worth risking a expensive torch coral in a fluval 13.5 or should i just stick to soft corals till i upgrade to the red sea 200

This, I run an Evo as well as my big tank, learn good husbandry, torch corals can be the price of an Evo and it is not fair on the coral.
As above, get softies and learn how to maintain your water. :)
I just took this it's in my Evo with stock lights. :)

DSC_0001 (1024x683).jpg

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about torches is, while they aren’t super difficult to maintain they are more sensitive than average to parameter swings. I would hold off until you feel you are at a point where you are able to consistently maintain calcium, alkalinity, etc in your aquarium.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what folks have already said. just throw in my thoughts:

Couple things about me first, I learned all about reefing on a Fluval 13.5. Small water columns present an interesting and rewarding challenge, minor changes can sometimes have big impacts. Like you’re planning mine now serves as a great QT tank for fish, I use a 25g for corals, I’ve long since upgraded to 135g WB. I’m a euphyllia nut who’s kept euphyllia of all sorts in each of the tank sizes. With that here is my two cents:
Stable conditions, regular water changes, testing if you are doing all these and are seeing consistent parameters in your water column I’d say go for it. If you decide to get a torch go with a cheaper Indo torch first see if you can keep it. Indo torches tend to be a little more hearty than there other Pacific Aussie cousin (which can be tough to keep if your parameters aren’t stable) this will save you some time, money and heartache in the long run. Couple of other questions:
What do you currently have in the tank?
Do you have space for the torch? as it grows sweeps can get pretty long.
Torches like moderate follow, what type of wave maker are you using? Same question of lighting as well.
let me know if you have more specific questions happy to help!

Shot of my euphyllia garden this morning
48E4990C-EAFB-4B3E-9AC5-775E00BE1930.jpeg

OP
OP
D

D2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what folks have already said. just throw in my thoughts:

Couple things about me first, I learned all about reefing on a Fluval 13.5. Small water columns present an interesting and rewarding challenge, minor changes can sometimes have big impacts. Like you’re planning mine now serves as a great QT tank for fish, I use a 25g for corals, I’ve long since upgraded to 135g WB. I’m a euphyllia nut who’s kept euphyllia of all sorts in each of the tank sizes. With that here is my two cents:
Stable conditions, regular water changes, testing if you are doing all these and are seeing consistent parameters in your water column I’d say go for it. If you decide to get a torch go with a cheaper Indo torch first see if you can keep it. Indo torches tend to be a little more hearty than there other Pacific Aussie cousin (which can be tough to keep if your parameters aren’t stable) this will save you some time, money and heartache in the long run. Couple of other questions:
What do you currently have in the tank?
Do you have space for the torch? as it grows sweeps can get pretty long.
Torches like moderate follow, what type of wave maker are you using? Same question of lighting as well.
let me know if you have more specific questions happy to help!

Shot of my euphyllia garden this morning
48E4990C-EAFB-4B3E-9AC5-775E00BE1930.jpeg
Currently do not have the tank going to order it soon then once i move i will be upgrading to a 200 red sea so yea i will take the advice of what people have said and learn parameters ect get myself some very very hard to kill corals for the 13.5

Thanks for the replys all much help :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back