Torch Coral Help

SilentFate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping someone can help me determine what is going on with my torch and what, if anything, I can/should do for it. It is in a tank with other hammers and torches and they all are doing fine. Admittedly, I have only kept these types of corals for a relatively short time but this is the first issue I am running into. My first thought was flow, but not sure if it is that, lighting, or some other issue. It has been pretty normal for as long as I've had it but I've noticed in the afternoons of late it retracts in a bit. Today it is retracted so far I can see some of the skeleton around it. Water parameters check out fine, and like I said, all of its neighbors are doing fine. Is this an issue of flow, lighting, both? Or do I have something else wrong I should look at? Is it a lost cause?

IMG_4363 (1).jpg

OP
OP
S

SilentFate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no big deal
Are you saying this is normal? I have others that have never done this. I wasn't worried by it retracting in a bit at times but given how far in it went today while the lights were still up and had so much skeletal exposure, it made me think something is off.

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the first day it's been like this? If so I'd let it go and see what happens before you start messing with stuff. In my experience, disturbing things and moving things around, you'll never really figure out what's wrong.

Like let's say you move it to another spot, it might get ticked and close up because you moved it. Then it doesn't open up for a few days, so you think you moved it to a bad spot, rinse and repeat.

OP
OP
S

SilentFate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the first day it's been like this? If so I'd let it go and see what happens before you start messing with stuff. In my experience, disturbing things and moving things around, you'll never really figure out what's wrong.

Like let's say you move it to another spot, it might get ticked and close up because you moved it. Then it doesn't open up for a few days, so you think you moved it to a bad spot, rinse and repeat.
It has started to retract a bit (stay fully out, just shortened tentacle reach as compared to "max" extension) in the afternoons for the last week or so. I didn't think too much of that. Today is the first time I've seen skeleton around the edges. I cannot get my darn phone to take a good picture under the lighting set up I have. I totally get what you are saying and that makes sense. I appreciate the insight.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2nd this, my torch retracts pretty far late in the day due to snails becoming more active. Then in the morning they are the HUGE! just check for starfish/snails crawling around him

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has started to retract a bit (stay fully out, just shortened tentacle reach as compared to "max" extension) in the afternoons for the last week or so. I didn't think too much of that. Today is the first time I've seen skeleton around the edges. I cannot get my darn phone to take a good picture under the lighting set up I have. I totally get what you are saying and that makes sense. I appreciate the insight.
If you think it’s a problem, revive would be a good dip and a good place to start!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B6F49E92-C27D-4FB9-839C-97154A406635.jpeg

@SilentFate, I've kept euphyllia for decades. Skeleton exposure isn't a good thing. A picture of it with just white light would help.

Some questions for you to get started.

How old is your tank?

What's your water parameters?

Have you noticed any BJD? Anything coming out of its mouth that looks brown and slimy?

OP
OP
S

SilentFate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@SilentFate, I've kept euphyllia for decades. Skeleton exposure isn't a good thing. A picture of it with just white light would help.

How old is your tank?

Have you noticed any BJD? Anything coming out of its mouth that looks brown a

Attachments

• IMG_4365.jpg
    IMG_4365.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 35

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it’s a problem, revive would be a good dip and a good place to start!
For reference, my double head cotton candy in mint condition. Excuse the bad pic but my light are about to turn off.
image.jpg

OP
OP
S

SilentFate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a year or so old, maybe a little less. I have a dragon soul torch and a more standard green one in there with it, along with some hammers, all doing well. I don't see anything coming out of it or anything, just retracted in. As for water parameters, I don't have all of the necessary testing equipment on-hand. I buy all of my water from a coral specific store and every time we test our stuff is dialed in where it should be. I have done a lot of water changes, more frequent and perhaps bigger, over the last few weeks. I note that just because browsing other posts I see some mentioning that can be more bad than good.

OP
OP
S

SilentFate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old is your tank?

Have you noticed any BJD? Anything coming out of its mouth that looks brown and slimy?
The tank is a year or so old, maybe a little less. I have a dragon soul torch and a more standard green one in there with it, along with some hammers, all doing well. I don't see anything coming out of it or anything, just retracted in. As for water parameters, I don't have all of the necessary testing equipment on-hand. I buy all of my water from a coral specific store and every time we test our stuff is dialed in where it should be. I have done a lot of water changes, more frequent and perhaps bigger, over the last few weeks. I note that just because browsing other posts I see some mentioning that can be more bad than good.

OP
OP
S

SilentFate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights had started to power down into moon for about an hour ahead of this picture but I turned the whites up quickly for a photo. This is a bit more retracted than it had been, but hopefully helps. I can try to get a better one mid-day tomorrow, if it is still alive.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In times like these is where you would need to know what your parameters are. Especially salinity, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. I would highly recommend getting all the test kits you need and not rely on a LFS for testing. Respectfully.
Swings, especially in alkalinity can be very stressful. Stability is the key.

With that said, most corals, especially euphyllia need a small amount N03 and P04. If these are at "0", this too can cause stress.

Aside from this, tissue recession can be caused by neighboring corals stinging others, pests or opportunistic crabs or shrimp can cause damage.

OP
OP
S

SilentFate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In times like these is where you would need to know what your parameters are. Especially salinity, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. I would highly recommend getting all the test kits you need and not rely on a LFS for testing. Respectfully.
Swings, especially in alkalinity can be very stressful. Stability is the key.

With that said, most corals, especially euphyllia need a small amount N03 and P04. If these are at "0", this too can cause stress.

Aside from this, tissue recession can be caused by neighboring corals stinging others, pests or opportunistic crabs or shrimp can cause damage.
Thank you. I need to get it all so I can test regularly. We started with softies and had nothing but success and started adding in some LPS and have been very fortunate there too. We've gotten complacent and seem to be getting into the level of reef keeping where we need to step up our husbandry a bit. I appreciate you taking a look and am sorry I am not able to arm you with better information.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the origin of the torch? Aussie or Indo.

Needs some TLC! there's definitely something going on. There may be a pest thats aggravating it, however at this point a "pest type dip" will need to be used with caution as they are strong and can add to the stress the coral is already experiencing.
The best method Ive found to help with health related issues with torches, and all Euphyllia really, is as follows.

BJD/ Tissue Recsn
-- Brown Jelly and tissue recession
*Iodine alone will not stop it. It's a tiny bandaid.

1. 2 cups of tank water 1 capful of witch hazel (hydrogen peroxide is fine too). Swirl it around a bit to release the jelly. Dip for 15mins

2. 2 cups of tank water 1/2 package of furan 2. Same process.

3. 2 cups of tank water and iodine until it looks like lightly colored iced tea. Same process.

4. Rinse in tank water. Reintroduce to tank in low light.

-Separate dishes for each, don't combine.

-For brown jelly or extreme tissue recession, dipping back to back days may be required.

*For referene; I have a euphyllia dominant system with over 30 different variations.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I need to get it all so I can test regularly. We started with softies and had nothing but success and started adding in some LPS and have been very fortunate there too. We've gotten complacent and seem to be getting into the level of reef keeping where we need to step up our husbandry a bit. I appreciate you taking a look and am sorry I am not able to arm you with better information.

No worries. Test kits are a part of the basic building blocks of reef keeping. Get them as soon as you can and test often! Tank parameters can change quickly, especially with growing corals.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,sorry to see, i agree dip and rinse coral,better safe than sorry.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Test kits are a part of the basic building blocks of reef keeping. Get them as soon as you can and test often! Tank parameters can change quickly, especially with growing corals.
Preferably, go with Hanna or Red Sea, the extra $ spent on them is worth every penny!

OP
OP
S

SilentFate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the origin of the torch? Aussie or Indo.

Needs some TLC! there's definitely something going on. There may be a pest thats aggravating it, however at this point a "pest type dip" will need to be used with caution as they are strong and can add to the stress the coral is already experiencing.
The best method Ive found to help with health related issues with torches, and all Euphyllia really, is as follows.

BJD/ Tissue Recsn
-- Brown Jelly and tissue recession
*Iodine alone will not stop it. It's a tiny bandaid.

1. 2 cups of tank water 1 capful of witch hazel (hydrogen peroxide is fine too). Swirl it around a bit to release the jelly. Dip for 15mins

2. 2 cups of tank water 1/2 package of furan 2. Same process.

3. 2 cups of tank water and iodine until it looks like lightly colored iced tea. Same process.

4. Rinse in tank water. Reintroduce to tank in low light.

-Separate dishes for each, don't combine.

-For brown jelly or extreme tissue recession, dipping back to back days may be required.

*For referene; I have a euphyllia dominant system with over 30 different variations.
Thank you. I will give it a try and maybe I can get lucky and save it. I believe it was Indo, it's gold with purple tips, it was about $275 or so if I recall. I am not entirely familiar with the BJD, I get what it stands for and Googled it, I guess my question is do I need to get all of my other Euphyllia out of this system? Is this like coral "ich" where it is going to spread through piece by piece? How did I get it?

Back