Torch coral hitchhiker

babajuju

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just recently started a 5g fluval all in one.(first saltwater attempt) it’s been running for nearly a month and a half. I’ve got this torch coral that was doing great for a while then started acting weird. Just not fully extending some polyps shrinking and becoming fat and stubby. I noticed a hitchhiker and I don’t know if it’s a feather duster or what. And I don’t know if I should just leave it or remove it. I dipped the torch and acclimated before placing it in my tank as well.

image.jpg image.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just recently started a 5g fluval all in one.(first saltwater attempt) it’s been running for nearly a month and a half. I’ve got this torch coral that was doing great for a while then started acting weird. Just not fully extending some polyps shrinking and becoming fat and stubby. I noticed a hitchhiker and I don’t know if it’s a feather duster or what. And I don’t know if I should just leave it or remove it. I dipped the torch and acclimated before placing it in my tank as well.

image.jpg image.jpg
Hard to say for sure with the pics, but I’d guess it’s a barnacle.

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg image.jpg
looks like a feather duster to me, though it's hard to tell. I'd be willing to bet the weird behavior is maybe your tank is just right yet. maybe start trying some coral aminos or Red Sea AB+

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like either a feather duster or a barnacle, probably a barnacle. If it makes grabbing motions, it's a barnacle. If not, feather duster. Either way, harmless- leave it alone.

Tank might be too new for torches, they can be finicky.

OP
OP
B

babajuju

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looked like a couple of days prior

Attachments

• 46AC77FB-E309-42FB-B543-FAB55368E9DF.jpeg
    46AC77FB-E309-42FB-B543-FAB55368E9DF.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
B

babajuju

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like either a feather duster or a barnacle, probably a barnacle. If it makes grabbing motions, it's a barnacle. If not, feather duster. Either way, harmless- leave it alone.

Tank might be too new for torches, they can be finicky.
Okay awesome, I appreciate it. And yea I may have rushed getting the torch. I’d had the other coral(including a hammer) that was doing well and growing so I threw it in there. I hope I don’t regret it

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not extended more likely because this is a very new tank that hasnt had a chance to mature. They also benefit from tracking nitrate, phosphate, alk and calcium and in that size tank you will need to dose alk and calcium

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It looks great, but man are torches finicky. I think everyone gets attracted to them. The thing that makes them hard is that there is practically no recourse if they start going downhill. SPS you can frag a branch, zoas might have one melt but you can adjust with the rest, etc etc. Torches once parameters are not right will just melt, so they are unforgiving.

As for the hitchhiker, looks like a harmless filter feeder as everyone pointed out.

OP
OP
B

babajuju

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured out my fish store gave me sea water at 26 ppm. I’m crazy so I test almost daily. And I noticed my salinity was dropping and I was losing my mind. I finally tested my salt jug to find it testing 26 ppm which also killed my cleaner shrimp who recently molted I believe

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, is that a typo?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back