Torch coral issue

wv7687

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral has lost one branch and dont know what issue is. Any ideas what black hole or spot on stems could be? All parameters are good and I do weekly 10percent water change. Doing dosing weekly with cal/mag supplements to keep at 400-450 on calcium. I have two Chinese black box lights on lower end of intensity and glass lid on my 75 gallon tank. Thanks for any advice as I am new to the Hobby. Will try and figure out how to post picture.

Warren

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How doez the rest of the coral look? Sometimes they just lose heads from stress. I have a torch that lost 2 heads when I put it in my tank over a month or so, the remaining head has flourished and has grown to 4 heads.

It also never hurts to do a larger waterchange, especially on a new tank. 10% is the minimum. Try like a 25% waterchange with a quality reef salt and see if the coral perks up. Calcium and Magnesium are only part of the story.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. Torches can be difficult euphyllia and need to be added to an established stable tank not a new tank. Low to moderate flow, 150 to 250 par. Like all LPS they prefer dirty nutrients rich water.

OP
OP
W

wv7687

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help so far. It was from a friends tank and he donated to my tank. Thank is about 6 months old at this point. Here is pic of them and the branch has black spots/holes and a string that is hard coming out of it near the top (see attached). Dont know if it has a pest or just the tank still being too new. THanks
Torch Coral Pic.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back