Torch coral not growing

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had what I think is a torch coral for over 2 months now and it looks worse than it did when I got it. Its gotten darker and it stays closed pretty much now except for a few parts. What could be wrong? it gets plenty of light. My tank params have been pretty consistent too.

image.png

image.png

image.jpg

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights? I had mine under LEDs for months and while they looked amazing, they did not grow at all. A few months ago I made the switch over to T5s and the single head has now split into 3.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is important, as is phosphate and nitrate. If the tank has too low nutrients it might not grow

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights? I had mine under LEDs for months and while they looked amazing, they did not grow at all. A few months ago I made the switch over to T5s and the single head has now split into 3.
I've got them under LEDs. I've seen other people have great growth with LEDs. My zoas have really good growth with them.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I do not think that your coral is a torch, it looks like a maybe a pipe organ or goniopora of some kind. Not really sure as it is hard to tell in the photo but I would bet money that it's not a torch. [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] ID?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I do not think that your coral is a torch, it looks like a maybe a pipe organ or goniopora of some kind. Not really sure as it is hard to tell in the photo but I would bet money that it's not a torch. [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] ID?

You might be right.
CAL and ALK aren't that important as No3 for this coral.
What are your Po4 and No3?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, you wouldn't say it's the same coral.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of feel bad because my gf got it for me for Christmas and she has been giving me flak about it not looking the same lol.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like a torch coral to me. From the skeleton I can see in the first picture it looks like something else, like a galaxia or something similar.... though the second picture looks closer to a torch, it still doesn't seem quite right.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define "Plenty of light" do you have a or get it tested with meter? or a factory program
?

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like a torch coral to me. From the skeleton I can see in the first picture it looks like something else, like a galaxia or something similar.... though the second picture looks closer to a torch, it still doesn't seem quite right.
Well in the first picture it's hard to see how detailed it is because I took it with my phone and it doesn't filter that blue light very well. I promise it's the same coral as the one in the picture lol. I'm not sure exactly what to call them so I'll call them the tentacles. The tentacles on the plug now are retracted and look like they have deteriorated.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the galactica app on my phone and it reads about 40k just off the top of the water.
i do love to hear that. There is par to consider too. some led could be considered junk food.
no problems with other corals?

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do love to hear that. There is par to consider too. some led could be considered junk food.
no problems with other corals?
All the other corals look fine. My zoas have been growing new polyps and my Acan looks good too. The only one I can never tell a difference in is my montipora. I was thinking I could turn the light intensity up a bit and see how the coral reacts to it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the other corals look fine. My zoas have been growing new polyps and my Acan looks good too. The only one I can never tell a difference in is my montipora. I was thinking I could turn the light intensity up a bit and see how the coral reacts to it.
your probably at a good intensity to rule it out without double checking PAR.
One odd thing to keep in mind in reefing, sometimes "it doesnt like your tank". In my current 55 i put xenia in a couple times in the first year and they melted. ??????
it was a transfer, it was the same rock, it was the same water, they were my xenia. It led me to keep buying $5 frags to see what would happen over the course of the year.
seems esp dependent Imo on age. weather its a diverse matured bacterial population or constant dissolved organics from micro algae production and rotten food etc .
I talk to my friends at the LFS's about this quite a bit and try to pay attention to it here commenting or not. One friend has 6 frag tanks. and he has the same problem. Coral does bad, move to next tank, it does great.
He built them all at the same time, LR came from the same batch. weird.

With a coral like that I would look at its feeding strategy. Sweepers would indicate I believe a higher dependence on food than light. so spot feeding and plankton's as well as quality flow and light.. I could be wrong.
its weird.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back