Torch coral not opening up

manuel josephh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I have a torch coral that has 2 heads. Yesterday I noticed that one of the head wasn’t opening up. Then I notice that there was a snail right beside so I shrugged it off and thought it closed due to the snail disturbing it. But when I woke up today, the it still hasn’t open so I’m confuse as to what is happening. Water parameters are fine and all other corals are thriving. But I did change the settings of my lighting abit so it might be that but I’m not sure. Does anybody have any idea what’s going on? Would appreciate all your help. I’ve attached a before and after photos.
98A41488-B09B-4E00-AF27-24F310735660.jpeg
323EEDE4-4313-4686-9EE0-0F675C7037FE.jpeg

9F7C5B49-2598-44F7-BB89-FC7785497D77.jpeg

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tissue appears to have started receding into the head. How long have you had it? Has it been dropped into the sand recently? Close to any other aggressive corals? Torches don’t take kindly to polyp tissue. damage May recover with a dip and some moderate flow.

what are your parameters and lighting/settings. I notice the other torch below it has very little tissue below the edge of the polyp. I’ve seen torch’s slowly recede over time and just eventually one day go from looking fine to looking like death.

what kind of snail was on it? Likely just going after an easy meal of dead tissue.

OP
OP
M

manuel josephh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tissue appears to have started receding into the head. How long have you had it? Has it been dropped into the sand recently? Close to any other aggressive corals? Torches don’t take kindly to polyp tissue. damage May recover with a dip and some moderate flow.

what are your parameters and lighting/settings. I notice the other torch below it has very little tissue below the edge of the polyp. I’ve seen torch’s slowly recede over time and just eventually one day go from looking fine to looking like death.

what kind of snail was on it? Likely just going after an easy meal of dead tissue.
I’ve had this torch for almost 6 months?
the snail wasn’t exactly on the torch but right beside it. It was eating the algae off the rocks. It’s an astrea snail btw. The torch below is doing very well. It’s lights out that’s why it’s not fully opened.
A6F3341B-F2D8-4678-8856-3EC88C6CD7A0.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back