Torch Coral Parasites or Eggs?

cdarcy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See these bubbles that are popping up on my torch coral trunk. Anyone know what they are? They are pretty clear looking and move with the current but are attached to the trunk. Also have some white dots with these fuzzy things at the head in picture 2. Any help identifying would be great.

IMG_0778.jpeg IMG_0774.jpeg IMG_0780.jpeg IMG_0777.jpeg IMG_0678.jpeg

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too experienced with this but you could always dip it and see if it comes off. if that doesn’t get them off then just scrape them off with a razor. Does it bother the torch at all?

OP
OP
cdarcy

cdarcy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures under some whites or a flash light would help lots, could be a form of hydroid or turnicate filter feeder?? And for the zoas idk what im supposed to be looking at lol
I tried to take some video. It almost looks like a clear pod with a little worn or something inside of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.mov
    28.8 MB

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to take some video. It almost looks like a clear pod with a little worn or something inside of it.
Hmm i got something like that in my reef, i just kinda assumed they were a filter feeder! They never bug anything and sometimes they come and go like sponges lol

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, white light pics would help (sorry, I can’t see the video on my phone).

The first pic looks like you have a tunicate, but pics two and four throw me (I assume there’s something else by the thing from pic 1 in these photos). Pic 3 shows Spionid worms; they’re generally harmless/beneficial (they’re filter feeders), but sometimes they can repopulate to plague proportions (likely depending on the species and on tank conditions) and cause serious problems in large numbers. Pic 5 I can’t tell for sure, but it looks like you may have some sort of “pest” by the top of the zoas.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 124 75.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back