torch coral shrinkage :(

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have had this torch for a whilee like 6+ months and recently its been receeding. i have an AI blade that its been under for a few months now, but other than that nothings really changed to much. trying to see what could cause this whether maybe its to much light or maybe to light nutrition? any sort of insight would be appreciated :)

20230920_160613.jpg

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yea, theres some hair algae in there for sure. it get appropriate flow and id like to say lighting, although sometimes itll look good in the morning around 12 then by 5 all closed like that. i thought id let some of the hair algae grow for nutrient/ nitrate phosphate consumption. but if u believe that might be causing the problem ill take it out, what params should i be looking at?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yea, theres some hair algae in there for sure. it get appropriate flow and id like to say lighting, although sometimes itll look good in the morning around 12 then by 5 all closed like that. i thought id let some of the hair algae grow for nutrient/ nitrate phosphate consumption. but if u believe that might be causing the problem ill take it out, what params should i be looking at?
The key is STABLE parameters. What have your alk, calcium, magnesium, nitrates, and phosphates been the last few months? Any changes or spikes/dips?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i was hoping w some kind algae it would help w that or filtration, but as far as cal/ alk i just dose 2 part, unfortunately dont have any tests but nitrates phos were lookin ok, as far as swings i couldnt say
So you're dosing things you aren't able to test for?? That's a recipe for trouble!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeaa unfortunately i havent found a good test kit for both. but i keep to the directions of every other day so id like to think ranges stay pretty consistent? ‍♂️
Wow. Even a "bad" test kit would be better than none.

Really no way to help you with the torch problem without good data.

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinkin of getting a hanna marine master. i tried the salifert for mag test but its never worked right. idk if theres any tips/ tricks w that one.but yea @The_Paradox this has been goin on for a few months now where itll look nice 12ish but come 5ish 6 closed like that.

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tahiti dam i feel ur pain man. watched my starry blenny ( out of all things) chomp at some of my fav acan the other day, he gone now but one just passed from him

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tahiti dam i feel ur pain man. watched my starry blenny ( out of all things) chomp at some of my fav acan the other day, he gone now but one just passed from him
You got to test alk , cal ,mag and pH or you can't do much ! It be just like a roll of a dice .

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked into your past messages for enquiries for your aquarium.
It's a weird one but unfortunately I think you need to research more before you proceed any further. It's your aquarium and by all means you can do what pleases you but in my honest opinion.
I would recommend that you do more research before adding any new life/ corals/ invertebrates,/ snails/ fish etc.

You have done the right thing by asking questions for some of the problems you are facing but unfortunately without the basics of parameters your answers will be in general 'guessed'

It takes alot to maintain an saltwater/ reef aquarium and to skip the basic tools necessary for this upkeep will put you in a very bad position for success.

Hence your position with this post.

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick's Reviews while i do agree w that, and i agree w other additions. its really just the torch thats being the problem, i have other lps that look fine but for some reason this one doesnt wanna do what its supposed to. i was initially looking to see if it mightve been a nutrient or lighting thing, but as i mentioned im looking into a hannah marine master. looking to get some reviews/ thoughts on the device before purchasing thoo.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick's Reviews while i do agree w that, and i agree w other additions. its really just the torch thats being the problem, i have other lps that look fine but for some reason this one doesnt wanna do what its supposed to. i was initially looking to see if it mightve been a nutrient or lighting thing, but as i mentioned im looking into a hannah marine master. looking to get some reviews/ thoughts on the device before purchasing thoo.
Have you ever tried dipping it or checking it for flat worms and eggs? It could be a pest issue along with Param issue etc..

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are other LPS showing growth or are they just surviving?

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Troylee i thought about that as well, and while i dont have any exp w such things. i feel like if that was the case itd be closed indefinitely instead of just sometimes yaknow. again i could be totally wrong ‍♂️ and @The_Paradox i do have growth on other corals like my acans and duncans while not much on acans( idk if they slow growing) the duncans have many more heads. thats what confuses me, if one lps thats right next to it is doin okay why not this one.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back