Torch coral splitting/peeling off base

Matt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that my torch coral has been peeling off/splitting from its base can anyone tell me what the problem may be.

FBBDDD6C-A51F-4393-AC28-21673DCA78BB.jpeg BE0CF4E3-5FB5-4606-A1DD-72BA08A72766.jpeg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not splitting it’s abandoning its skeleton, not a good thing. Mine has done that and just left an empty skeleton where a whole head used to be. How long has it been in it’s spot?

OP
OP
M

Matt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not splitting it’s abandoning its skeleton, not a good thing. Mine has done that and just left an empty skeleton where a whole head used to be. How long has it been in it’s spot?
It has been there for 2-3 weeks probably

OP
OP
M

Matt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in the center beside my hammer coral

91A478FF-D0F6-49EC-8D3D-C46EC7967D3F.jpeg

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it getting a lot of flow? Mine gets quite a bit bit some may not like as much flow as others. Are you parameters stable?

OP
OP
M

Matt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it getting a lot of flow? Mine gets quite a bit bit some may not like as much flow as others. Are you parameters stable?
Yes it was getting a lot of flow, it was catching the return flow as it hits the glass and the wave maker faces the middle however I have it facing the surface. To be honest I haven’t done any tests in a month but I keep my water changes going so it should be roughly the same I’ve never had any swings and don’t notice anything new

OP
OP
M

Matt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved it to a spot that does not have as much flow, do I just keep an eye on it and it’ll hopefully go back or should I do something else

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly that head may not recover. Between my hammers and torch I have never had a head recover once the polyp starts to bail. I would just keep an eye on it to make sure the other sides stay happy. If you moved it to a low flow spot you just may notice the tentacles get a little fatter, they stay more stringy in high flow.

OP
OP
M

Matt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly that head may not recover. Between my hammers and torch I have never had a head recover once the polyp starts to bail. I would just keep an eye on it to make sure the other sides stay happy. If you moved it to a low flow spot you just may notice the tentacles get a little fatter, they stay more stringy in high flow.
Thank you very much I’ll keep you updated in a week or so on how it’s going

OP
OP
M

Matt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told by my local fish store that it happens due to low magnesium levels

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back