Torch coral

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral is lost it's tissue that covers the skeleton. It still opens up nice and big. I'm just wondering if it will re grow it or if it what could happen since it's not there

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture :)

Here you go
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1432644439.324909.jpg

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrient levels at? How much light is it getting? I have seen this if they are not getting enough food \light. It pulls the tissue back in order to cut its energy needs. Also check at the base for predators for something that could be eating it. Check your parameters in the tank to see if anything is off.

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your water stats ?

Is there any sign of a brown jelly substance on the head I had that myself a few weeks ago and I opted to remove the head instead of having the risk of it spreading.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrient levels at? How much light is it getting? I have seen this if they are not getting enough food \light. It pulls the tissue back in order to cut its energy needs. Also check at the base for predators for something that could be eating it. Check your parameters in the tank to see if anything is off.

It happened when my nitrates where really high

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also at the same I removed the head from mine I found a hitchiker crab inside the skeleton so that more then likely contributed to it.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your water stats ?

Is there any sign of a brown jelly substance on the head I had that myself a few weeks ago and I opted to remove the head instead of having the risk of it spreading.

No there is no brown jelly

PH 8.2
Cal 410
Alk 9.0
Mg. 1340
Nitrate >5
Phosphate .00

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have gotten the nitrates back down to normal levels try spot feeding a little extra. Nothing crazy just a little per day. The extra food adds to the energy budget and allows for new tissue growth. Mine likes if I stir up some detritus into the water from my substrate with a turkey baster. If you add a mechanical filter to remove it you can feed your corals and remove it from you tank. Win win I say.

The crab could have been irritating the tissue for sure.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also at the same I removed the head from mine I found a hitchiker crab inside the skeleton so that more then likely contributed to it.
Oh wow I haven't seen anything like pest. There are 2 feather dusters but they are tiny

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have gotten the nitrates back down to normal levels try spot feeding a little extra. Nothing crazy just a little per day. The extra food adds to the energy budget and allows for new tissue growth. Mine likes if I stir up some detritus into the water from my substrate with a turkey baster. If you add a mechanical filter to remove it you can feed your corals and remove it from you tank. Win win I say.

The crab could have been irritating the tissue for sure.
Okay it still opens everyday and I feed it 3 times a week. So it will grow back

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is one of the coral crabs they normally don't eat the tissue itself. Some corals don't like it walking around on the tissue and then get irritated. The crabs typically stick to the SPS corals where they use the coral head for protection as well as eat any lodged food or any extra coral slime that is getting shed. The waste from the crab is a fertilizer for the SPS. But with that being said it really depends on the species of crab if it is a coral eater of a harmless communal crab.

If the coral skeleton is not green and nothing else bothers it, it should grow back. A green skeleton can be a sign of green boring algae that secrets a chemical that makes the tissue peel back. But in the picture it doesn't look like it has a green base so with the extra few feeding you should be fine. I would as a precaution keep an eye out for brown jelly. Just in case.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is one of the coral crabs they normally don't eat the tissue itself. Some corals don't like it walking around on the tissue and then get irritated. The crabs typically stick to the SPS corals where they use the coral head for protection as well as eat any lodged food or any extra coral slime that is getting shed. The waste from the crab is a fertilizer for the SPS. But with that being said it really depends on the species of crab if it is a coral eater of a harmless communal crab.

If the coral skeleton is not green and nothing else bothers it, it should grow back. A green skeleton can be a sign of green boring algae that secrets a chemical that makes the tissue peel back. But in the picture it doesn't look like it has a green base so with the extra few feeding you should be fine. I would as a precaution keep an eye out for brown jelly. Just in case.
Okay. Yeah i don't see any green algae

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No there is no brown jelly

PH 8.2
Cal 410
Alk 9.0
Mg. 1340
Nitrate >5
Phosphate .00
Flesh receding from around crown. Usually means it is not happy. If what is causing the receding is not fixed. it more than likely keep receding until there is no more polyp left. Are your nitrates correct? Or is your greater than symbol just pointing the wrong way? If it is actually less than 5. You may look into something like flow or light. How long have you had it?

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flesh receding from around crown. Usually means it is not happy. If what is causing the receding is not fixed. it more than likely keep receding until there is no more polyp left. Are your nitrates correct? Or is your greater than symbol just pointing the wrong way? If it is actually less than 5. You may look into something like flow or light. How long have you had it?
5 months

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back