Torch corals

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have low nutrients, the alk is considered high. When you have good nutrients levels you can run alk higher like the 10 to 11 range with good results but if you run it that high with low nutrients corals will decline.
No way, I never thought of it that way. Could the same be said for the reversed? Like, 1450 mg 450 ca and then a 7.3 alk, could the alk be deemed "low"?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, I never thought of it that way. Could the same be said for the reversed? Like, 1450 mg 450 ca and then a 7.3 alk, could the alk be deemed "low"?
No not so much although of course there are maximum and minimum numbers for elements and nutrients. The numbers you quoted above are almost my parameters but I run alk at 7.8 to 8.2. There were some studies that showed you might get faster coral growth with higher alk but you had to have higher levels of nitrates and phosphate to supply the growth. Keep in mind NSW alk is like 7 and there is endless amounts of phytoplankton in the water for corals to consume. I try to mimic this by adding phytoplankton daily. In a closed system 7.3 is borderline low because given the test kit error rate you might be at 7 or lower and that leaves no wiggle room for problems.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not so much although of course there are maximum and minimum numbers for elements and nutrients. The numbers you quoted above are almost my parameters but I run alk at 7.8 to 8.2. There were some studies that showed you might get faster coral growth with higher alk but you had to have higher levels of nitrates and phosphate to supply the growth. Keep in mind NSW alk is like 7 and there is endless amounts of phytoplankton in the water for corals to consume. I try to mimic this by adding phytoplankton daily. In a closed system 7.3 is borderline low because given the test kit error rate you might be at 7 or lower and that leaves no wiggle room for problems.
What is deemed as higher po4 and no3 if I want to run higher alk? or better yet, could you link the study?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back