Torch deflated after water change

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup guys I just did my first water change in 3 weeks... Water change was 5 gallons Torch is deflated after water change everything else seems fine in tank is this normal? Here a Pic of the torch... Maybe I should stop doing water changes tank is over one year old dosing all for reef

20220501_115957.jpg

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calm down, leave it alone. Continue water changes if that is your main export and import of nutrients. Parameters obviously went up from where they were, how far did they go and how fast?

Did I mention calm down.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All things being equal, meaning the salinity of the water, it is not uncommon for LPS corals to react this way for a day or 2. I have some of my LPS totally retract for absolutely no reason, and then a few days later they are back to normal.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always take a step back if something seems wrong. Go back to basics.

1. What were my parameters before the water change when everything was happy.

Salinity/nitrate/ALK is all I would initially ask you to review, the whole story across the board would be much more ideal.

2. What are they now? If anything is reading higher or lower, how much higher, how much lower and how many parameters are out of wack. The more parameters that are unbalanced will likely be the reason for deflation.

3. Before you ask why, you should ask yourself what isn't stable. If you have one or more that you cannot almost peg with water changes you need to start there.

4. If everything is within an ideal range you just wait. Patiently. Don't fix anything that in isn't broke, do not chase numbers, chase stability above all else. You can learn to tweak numbers later, learn to be keep them somewhere for a good long while first.. learn how they interact with one another.

Obviously you don't want crazy high or crazy low stability with them, aim for seawater of something near it. I have had successful tanks at 40ppm+ nitrate, not ideal whatsoever, but it ran fine because all parameters were almost in cement day to day, then week to week. Once you start hitting months, 6 months and years you'll learn how YOUR tank runs. I cannot stress that enough, your tank may simply do better where others fail, yours my fail at where the masses say you're supposed to be

Find your honey hole while being patient and keeping everything stable vs a one legged man in an a-- kicking contest trying to fix this number while not watching those numbers.. next thing you know everything is dead and algae is everywhere.

These are just off the cuff thoughts of what I normally do to diagnose. I see now I went into a rant and I'm just not feeling editing/proofing this at the moment so I hope something in there helps. I wish I learned what I wrote much sooner in my journey.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always take a step back if something seems wrong. Go back to basics.

1. What were my parameters before the water change when everything was happy.

Salinity/nitrate/ALK is all I would initially ask you to review, the whole story across the board would be much more ideal.

2. What are they now? If anything is reading higher or lower, how much higher, how much lower and how many parameters are out of wack. The more parameters that are unbalanced will likely be the reason for deflation.

3. Before you ask why, you should ask yourself what isn't stable. If you have one or more that you cannot almost peg with water changes you need to start there.

4. If everything is within an ideal range you just wait. Patiently. Don't fix anything that in isn't broke, do not chase numbers, chase stability above all else. You can learn to tweak numbers later, learn to be keep them somewhere for a good long while first.. learn how they interact with one another.

Obviously you don't want crazy high or crazy low stability with them, aim for seawater of something near it. I have had successful tanks at 40ppm+ nitrate, not ideal whatsoever, but it ran fine because all parameters were almost in cement day to day, then week to week. Once you start hitting months, 6 months and years you'll learn how YOUR tank runs. I cannot stress that enough, your tank may simply do better where others fail, yours my fail at where the masses say you're supposed to be

Find your honey hole while being patient and keeping everything stable vs a one legged man in an a-- kicking contest trying to fix this number while not watching those numbers.. next thing you know everything is dead and algae is everywhere.

These are just off the cuff thoughts of what I normally do to diagnose. I see now I went into a rant and I'm just not feeling editing/proofing this at the moment so I hope something in there helps. I wish I learned what I wrote much sooner in my journey.
Thanks for the info I will most likely stop water changes... My nitrates stay around 10 and po4 0.05 without water changes

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back