TORCH HELP

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried torches around 6 months and had slow decline. Now at a year the torches are much more stabil because the tank parameters are very stabil also.
Yea that’s always a factor. Tank maturity. But if he sees other coral of the same genus growing, propagating then I don’t think maturity is the issue this time

OP
OP
D

DiamondCoralsLLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do u suggest i move it, i’ll attach a pic
Yea that’s always a factor. Tank maturity. But if he sees other coral of the same genus growing, propagating then I don’t think maturity is the issue this time
i have a single head bi color that split

Attachments

• EE1F74B7-3C7D-4FA0-82B9-E01C14D388F7.jpeg
    EE1F74B7-3C7D-4FA0-82B9-E01C14D388F7.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 29

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Phos slightly high (you want .04 - .06) but not it. A few important necessities are location -calcium-light-flow.
One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis.
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature 77-79 degrees
Specific gravity of 1.025
Ph 8.1-8.3
Calcium level 400-440 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, I have a lot of euphyllia and at 6 months my torches struggled but hammers and frogspawn no issues. Torches can be finicky but he seems to have decent numbers and flow looked ok in his video so that only leaves light as a potential source. But also, torches will close up some as they grow a new head splitting off too.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, since you have your torches on the sandbed do you get any sand blowing around down there at all? This can irritate them. I have mine up on rocks.

OP
OP
D

DiamondCoralsLLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, I have a lot of euphyllia and at 6 months my torches struggled but hammers and frogspawn no issues. Torches can be finicky but he seems to have decent numbers and flow looked ok in his video so that only leaves light as a potential source. But also, torches will close up some as they grow a new head splitting off too.
that could be the issue because it looks as if it’s splitting

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no sand on them at all!
I have one that has only been half opened for a few weeks. There is a big one next to it and I sometimes wonder if it's getting bullied. I don't see visible damage but maybe not all torches get along well with each other in close proximity.

OP
OP
D

DiamondCoralsLLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that has only been half opened for a few weeks. There is a big one next to it and I sometimes wonder if it's getting bullied. I don't see visible damage but maybe not all torches get along well with each other in close proximity.
BCD8D6B1-9FE8-456D-81AC-C9EAA0F55D40.jpeg

move him higher up to the light today (i know there are other coral he can sting) i’ll move them if he opens just trying to diagnose the issue he’s dying off in the back

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 91 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back