Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It
Per the FDA:

"Doxycycline has a high degree of lipoid solubility and a low affinity for calcium binding. It is highly stable in normal human serum."
Low affinity is not zero alot antibiotics chilate with calcium including Cipro. Doxy is a tetracycline being of the most reactive class and that's besides the point. Once again Im just voicing my opinion that individual coral treatment is better. Just because one coral got BJD does not mean that the whole tank is infected. I believe one must observe his or her tank for more signs of BJD and where I would agree that there is a time and place for whole tank treatment it should be done only under severe conditions that require such a decision. I've struggled with BJd many times and know that most aquariums have BJD in it and the right conditions allow it to advance. When treating BJD the cause must be addressed i.e. excessive carbon dosing, parameters swinging, flat worms. BJD usually infects corals that are weakend or damaged and then spread to other corals. Bacteria stability is one of the most important parts of our reef tanks and we should take extream caution to maintain its stability making decisions to disrupt it only out of necessity.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link I posted above demonstrated via eDNA that the bacterial community was minimally disturbed by the treatment. Every time I have used ciprofloxacin for tank treatment, my corals have looked much happier. I would suggest that the bacterial community was in fact out of balance and that the cipro helped to put it back in balance by killing off pathologic bacteria. YMMV.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back