Torch polyp bail out?

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this past week both my torches have lost a head and I have 2 free floating heads, 1 from each torch. They look viable and quite intact, but I don't know why they have done this. Water parameters are all normal, maybe calcium is a little low at 360-380. Only other change is my temp has gone down from 79 to 77 over the last few weeks as I have less pumps in the tank giving off heat. Is this a known behavior or are the torches signalling on coming issues? Tank is a mixed reef with softies, lps, gorgonians and a sps. Noticed my sps piece is having issues too, but a water change has turned it around. Any tips/info would be welcome. Oh, and what do I do with the two heads of torch floating around?

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 77, salinity 1.0255, ph 8.0, ammonia, nitrite 0, nitrate and phosphate read 0, but there are some for sure as I have algae growth issues (albeit manageable), calcium 360, mg 1380,

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that happen and I gave it more light and flow and it popped up better than it was. glue those heads down and they may come back. What is the ALK in your tank? Torches do better with some Phos and Nitrate.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that happen and I gave it more light and flow and it popped up better than it was. glue those heads down and they may come back. What is the ALK in your tank? Torches do better with some Phos and Nitrate.

All is 8. I'm not convinced of my nitrate and phosphate as I grow algae pretty fast, but could be.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even at night? My peppermint shrimp only terrorized Euphyllia at night. lol

I've had one of the torches for almost 5 years, and this skunk for about 3-4 yrs, never been a problem. At night they all settle down into their preferred hiding spots and hit the snooze button. I added a nice leather recently that it likes to hang out on now, inseparable. It's a first having this problem with the heads being intact. I'll try to secure them to a place and hope they start new homes.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this happen to a small elegance coral recently. It did wonderfully for a while until I changed the flow... all of a sudden the polyp bailed out on me. No idea why it happened except for the change in flow. Parameters were all the same, no other changes. The polyp lived in the sand (looked pretty good too) for a few weeks before being eaten by snails and hermits.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this happen to a small elegance coral recently. It did wonderfully for a while until I changed the flow... all of a sudden the polyp bailed out on me. No idea why it happened except for the change in flow. Parameters were all the same, no other changes. The polyp lived in the sand (looked pretty good too) for a few weeks before being eaten by snails and hermits.

I did recently play with the flow, thought I was improving distribution, but I guess it was too much of a change. Interesting how a little change in flow makes such a drastic effect on these torches. The flow has been put back to how it was. Hopefully the polyps will make it. Should I cut off the dead stalks from the torches, worried about the good polyps tearing themselves on the sharp edges?

iTread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am suffering with this now too...I bought a new powerhead (tunze 6105) and trialed it out for 3 hours!! just to see how it moved water. Next morning it started to lose one head and now looks like this. I am trying to glue it back on, but not really optimistic about this.

20181201_081805.jpg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back