Torch receding at the base yet fully opens!

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello !

I got this torch now nearly two weeks ago, looked healthy fully opens to this day. But the tissue is receding at the base.

Parameters:
NO3: 50-100 (let's mention that this is very stable)
PO4: 0,06-0
Mg: 1200
Ca: 470
Salinity: 1024 (bringing it up to 1025)

So what happened ?

4-5 days ago I started to see the recession, had no idea what caused it. I increased UV and green by a total of 7% (daily 2-3% change) so It gets 120 par instead of the 80 before increasing.
After light change:
day1-2: Dip in RS DipX, 3 flatworms came off
day3: monitoring healthy
day4(today): seeing that the tissue is still receding <0,5cm left on the outer part
At the connection between the skeleton and the tissue, tonight I've seen white stringy mucus somewhat red-ish in the middle if I remember correctly

The recession started this week.

Coral during the day as usual, nothing changed (took this picture before recession but it looks the same except the lost tissue at the base) :
IMG_20230618_121108.jpg

Coral tonight:
IMG_20230702_011537.jpg

Tissue a few days ago, and already receding:
IMG_20230628_145952.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can/will look open and flowing until the day they bail out or just dissolve... In the 2 weeks you've had it, it's been subjected to poor water quality and will likely continue to decline... Low salinity, low magnesium, low phosphates with high nitrates -all are problematic. What is your alk and how stable has that been?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can/will look open and flowing until the day they bail out or just dissolve... In the 2 weeks you've had it, it's been subjected to poor water quality and will likely continue to decline... Low salinity, low magnesium, low phosphates with high nitrates -all are problematic. What is your alk and how stable has that been?
Now I can do something with Mg, and salinity but nothing with nitrate. My nitrate never moves rarely from 100> to >50

Upvote 0

Dutch_Mill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I can do something with Mg, and salinity but nothing with nitrate. My nitrate never moves rarely from 100> to >50

Water changes, carbon dosing, less feeding, algae reactor, algae scrubber, more (fast growing soft) coral.

Plenty of ways to reduce nitrates. Just make sure you keep phosphate in balance by feeding higher phosphate food or dosing it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, carbon dosing, less feeding, algae reactor, algae scrubber, more (fast growing soft) coral.

Plenty of ways to reduce nitrates. Just make sure you keep phosphate in balance by feeding higher phosphate food or dosing it.
All the things you mentioned, nothing worked. I have softies doing very well, like zoas and such. What would that "balance" be ? Redfield ratio ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great, any thoughts on what you changed? Currently have some going through this
Hmm... As far as I can remember I maybe decreased my flow a tiny bit but I'm not sure. I also went trough this with a saved/salvaged torch colony which survived so far and there I had salinity issues 1,024 after increasing to 1,025 the recession seems to be stopped.
Here are the things to look out for:

-Nutrients: NO3: in my experience corals don't care about this but should never be zero for LPS
PO4: I have/had this around 0,0X
-Salinity atleast 1,025 because some specimens may not like 1,024
->Mg Ca in the sweet spot(s) (for Ca I was recommended ~+400)

-Have around 120 pars, atleast a 100

->Fragbox TV on youtube made very good videos regarding torches, those may help.

I can also recommend to take photos of the coral and compare it day by day to see what happened.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back