Torch receding? dying?

RedzaRamzan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Just got my first torch coral, a tiny frag, each head is less than 1inch wide. Originally I placed it up top with high flow and it seemed like it hated it, and it expelled some brown stuff, probably the zooxanthellae stuff cause the light is pretty strong up top. The next after i moved it to a lower part of the tank with medium flow and medium light, seems to be happy, with awesome pretty polyp extensions. looks like its blooming.

However, this morning, the second head (right) seemed to have some fluffy stuff under the polyps and it seems like its way smaller than what it was. Is it receding and is it on the way to dying?
I did quick 30% water change and now waiting for any improvement or changes. I read up on alot of torch coral stuff, it doesnt seem like the messiential(?) filament thing, and its not entirely closed up. It seems happy,but at the same time the 2nd head (and probably the first head too) is getting smaller.

My water parameters are all ok, havent gotten a phostphate test kit, but there are little specks of algae, so maybe its climbing? Alk is kinda high too like 12-13 and its climbing every week. Not dosing anything. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are at 0. PH is 8.1, SG is at 1.024

Questions
1. Is my torch dying receding? What should i look out for next and what should i do?
2. Why does my Alk keep climbing even when i dont add anything? How do i reduce it to like 8-9? Water changes?
3. Is Alk and Phosphate the main reason its receding?
4. I see other people posting that their Torch is receding too, but their polyps seem retracted, my torch is still blooming, does this mean something?

Any help is much appreciated!!

20200707_140043.jpg

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like mesenterial filaments. I would get it into an area with much less flow and see if it becomes less irritated.

My concern with this is that it may be preparing for polyp bailout. Or it is just extremely irritated by something

OP
OP
RedzaRamzan

RedzaRamzan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like mesenterial filaments. I would get it into an area with much less flow and see if it becomes less irritated.

My concern with this is that it may be preparing for polyp bailout. Or it is just extremely irritated by something
Thanks for this! I moved it to the side of the tank with lower flow. The filaments are no longer there but the polyp receded quite a lot. Will be keeping an eye on it to see what's up!

OP
OP
RedzaRamzan

RedzaRamzan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it go?

It's going good! I followed bknope's advice and moved it to the side and on the sandbed, the first few days were still kinda off. but the filaments slowly retracted and now the polyps look beautiful and happy. Learned a lot from my first coral!

I think alk was pretty high too, so i slowly brought it down to 9-10 ish. Not dosing anything, still trynna figure out whats raising the alk.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going good! I followed bknope's advice and moved it to the side and on the sandbed, the first few days were still kinda off. but the filaments slowly retracted and now the polyps look beautiful and happy. Learned a lot from my first coral!

I think alk was pretty high too, so i slowly brought it down to 9-10 ish. Not dosing anything, still trynna figure out whats raising the alk.

Check your fresh salt mix...some mix up pretty high (the pro version a usually) and check salinity...make sure your refractometer is calibrated. If you are running a higher salinity than you believe...your alk will also be higher.

I know you said you are not dosing anything but hopefully that includes not dosing pH buffer.

OP
OP
RedzaRamzan

RedzaRamzan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your fresh salt mix...some mix up pretty high (the pro version a usually) and check salinity...make sure your refractometer is calibrated. If you are running a higher salinity than you believe...your alk will also be higher.

I know you said you are not dosing anything but hopefully that includes not dosing pH buffer.

Thank you! Im using some aquaforest reef salt and i check the salinity before i add it to the tank, i'll recalibrate the thing and see what it reads.

And yea, not dosing anything at all, even PH buffer. PH seems cool at 8.1 and has been very stable.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back