Torch Trouble???

Cari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for input on flesh part of torch onto skeleton. I have 6 Torches. 3 ordered online and 3 from LFS. The 3 ordered look like torch comes out of top of skeleton with no flesh wrapped over the top edge of skeleton or down the side.
the 3 from LFS have a lot of flesh all around the top of skeleton and down the sides of skeleton branch. All of the torches seem to be inflated, however the fleshy ones are inflated more. They are all Indo.

Shouldn‘t all of them have flesh?? What can I do to help?

Parameters are:
Temp. 78
Salinity. 1.025
pH. 8.11
Alk. 8.4
Calc. 400. Slowly raising this while trying to keep Alk around mid 8
Mag. 1535
Nitrate. 16.8
Phosphate .11

Feeding tank PE Mysis and Rod’s Food and Fauna Marin LPS Grow & Color

Thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers seem fine which then points to light and flow. Mine are in 250 par with low moderate flow mid tank. Some take longer to acclimate to a new environment also.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for input on flesh part of torch onto skeleton. I have 6 Torches. 3 ordered online and 3 from LFS. The 3 ordered look like torch comes out of top of skeleton with no flesh wrapped over the top edge of skeleton or down the side.
the 3 from LFS have a lot of flesh all around the top of skeleton and down the sides of skeleton branch. All of the torches seem to be inflated, however the fleshy ones are inflated more. They are all Indo.

Parameters are:
Temp. 78
Salinity. 1.025
pH. 8.11
Alk. 8.4
Mag. 1535
Nitrate. 16.8
Phosphate .11

Thanks!
Keep the best water possible.
They should/will heal up.

OP
OP
Cari

Cari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. As far flow and light…here’s what I’ve got:

Flow - 2 Octopulse 4 on 90 gallon, opposites ends. Control with Hydros wave engine Set on LPS mode. The max power was 40%, but I just dialed it back to 30% because torch movement seemed to be “one way“ quite often. All torch are bottom of tank, front and center. Maybe I should explore a different “mode”, like “Random”.

Lighting- 2 Kessil AP9X. Right now I have them on at 8am - 10 color/20% intensity and off at 8pm. Then moonlights are on all night.
Current par on bottom is topping out at 80. The acclimation mode is also set at 20% intensity. 40% intensity gave me about 150 par on the bottom.
I would like to get the overall par in the tank up. Any thoughts on % increase per week to accomplish this? I was thinking 2% but definitely open to suggestions. I don’t want to fry these guys.

thanks again!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. As far flow and light…here’s what I’ve got:

Flow - 2 Octopulse 4 on 90 gallon, opposites ends. Control with Hydros wave engine Set on LPS mode. The max power was 40%, but I just dialed it back to 30% because torch movement seemed to be “one way“ quite often. All torch are bottom of tank, front and center. Maybe I should explore a different “mode”, like “Random”.

Lighting- 2 Kessil AP9X. Right now I have them on at 8am - 10 color/20% intensity and off at 8pm. Then moonlights are on all night.
Current par on bottom is topping out at 80. The acclimation mode is also set at 20% intensity. 40% intensity gave me about 150 par on the bottom.
I would like to get the overall par in the tank up. Any thoughts on % increase per week to accomplish this? I was thinking 2% but definitely open to suggestions. I don’t want to fry these guys.

thanks again!
You can go up like 5% a week to be safe.
100 par to 105 par.
105 to 111 par. Ect.

OP
OP
Cari

Cari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The ordered ones for 2 months and the LFS are new, only a week

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every new torch I’ve gotten aside from one always had small amounts of flesh until a few weeks in my tank then they kinda took off. I would think by two months they should be coming down the skeleton by now. Do you have any pics that way we can see how bad it is. Might not be as bad as you think.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Parameters are:
Temp. 78
Salinity. 1.025
pH. 8.11
Alk. 8.4
Mag. 1535
Nitrate. 16.8
Phosphate .11

Thanks!
Good catch, you're right. You can think of the flesh as an energy store for the coral. Under stress they'll start consuming themselves.

Your numbers look good so bravo! Haha. I would suggest dosing some acro power for the coral under slack conditions. This is absorbed instead of eaten so more readily available for an energy source.

Just know that as you dose it'll be additional nutrients to transport and watch.

OP
OP
Cari

Cari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help! Kind of hard to see…the red arrows are the ones without flesh compared to the yellow arrow on new one with a lot of flesh. I will get the acro power for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_6113.jpeg
    IMG_6113.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6109.jpeg
    IMG_6109.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6112.jpeg
    IMG_6112.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 36

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back