Torch with one sad head

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I got a dragon soul torch roughly 2 weeks ago.
It didn't look all that happy, and I think I placed it a little to clise to another torch. No warfare between them, but might have been bothered.

I moved it two days ago and one head looks much better, but the other still not opening much.

Should I try a dip or something, or give it a few more days in the new spot?
20210616_143018.jpg

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may have an infection in that polyp. keep a close eye on it and watch for any milky white or goopy brown discharge as it could indicate infection if it does not improve soon.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may have an infection in that polyp. keep a close eye on it and watch for any milky white or goopy brown discharge as it could indicate infection if it does not improve soon.
Thanks. Would a dip be adviseable in the near future, if it doesn't improve even if no visible signs develop?

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am inclined to dip corals when I suspect infections purely because they can be so rapid and devastating but that is my approach and you may want to wait for some sign that it is not going to improve on its own and I would certainly wait for further input from the community at this time.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am inclined to dip corals when I suspect infections purely because they can be so rapid and devastating but that is my approach and you may want to wait for some sign that it is not going to improve on its own and I would certainly wait for further input from the community at this time.
Thanks. I'll leave it alone for now and keep a close eye on it.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just moved it, I would recommend you just watch it for a couple days. Give it some time to acclimate to it’s new home.
Although dipping is a good option, you should know what you’re dipping for… dipping can stress the torch and given that it’s not so happy, that may push it over the edge.

Torches prefer low-moderate flow and low-moderate light and stable parameters
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just moved it, I would recommend you just watch it for a couple days. Give it some time to acclimate to it’s new home.
Although dipping is a good option, you should know what you’re dipping for… dipping can stress the torch and given that it’s not so happy, that may push it over the edge.

Torches prefer low-moderate flow and low-moderate light and stable parameters
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input.
That is basically the issue. I can't see anything specific, so dipping it might not have any effect, and I do not want to stress it further.

It would be so much easier if there were any signs of why it's a bit unhappy XD

Last edited:

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be great!! Unfortunately we are just guessing most of the time.
The one thing I keep telling myself is that corals are very resilient and can survive a lot of adversity… and the more we fiddle with them, the higher the likelihood they react poorly.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IME it is more about the base flesh than the polyp extension. If the base flesh begins to recede, you need to do something like a Lugol’s dip.

Back