Torch with white thin tips.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this purple torch in my tank for about a month now. I acclimated it to my 20K LEDs over the course of 2 weeks. Week one it was in a shady spot and after a few days the tentacles were clearly more extended along the edge of the shade going into the full light. Out of the shade it should be getting about 125-150 PAR.

So the start of week 2 I relocated it out of the shade but at the same depth to maintain peak PAR levels. None of it is in the shade now. I made sure it has about as close to the same amount of flow as it did in the previous spot. If anything it has a very slight increase in flow based on its tentacles flowing back and forth.

The same day I also raised my alkalinity from 7.7dKH to 9.3dKH. Didn't mean to, accidentally added too much. Should have held off on one of the 2 adjustments so I know which one had this effect on it. Within 2 days the ends of the tentacles shriveled up and turned white. The bottom portions are still normal looking.

I'm thinking it was my alkalinity spike but just wanted to see if it could be caused by the move from shady to direct lighting. It has been about 2 weeks like this and it isn't getting worse. It maybe getting better but hard to tell so I've been taking pictures periodically.

Lesson learned: don't do more than one change per day incase you mess one up.

20191123_160028.jpg

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would think it was the spike in alk, that's a big jump. i have a few torch at 200 par so i don't think your light is to high right now, are you doing a routine water change & bringing the alk back down?

OP
OP
Bret Brinkmann

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No WC. Bringing it down naturally. Already at 8.1 dKH. Ends still look bleached and shriveled. The rest of it still looks healthy.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should come back. I accidentally got to close with the siphon hose one time & tore off the ends of a few tentacles of one of mine. that part shriveled up & took a few weeks but it grew back & looks like nothing ever happened. Probably got alk burn on the tips, torch is pretty tuff, give it some time & it should be back to normal.

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should come back. I accidentally got to close with the siphon hose one time & tore off the ends of a few tentacles of one of mine. that part shriveled up & took a few weeks but it grew back & looks like nothing ever happened. Probably got alk burn on the tips, torch is pretty tuff, give it some time & it should be back to normal.
I have done this more times then I care to admit....

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back