Torn mantle around incurrent and exit siphons

whitelightning77

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 13, 2013
Messages
482
Reaction score
534
Location
S. Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what might cause this. I noticed a slight tear near the incurrent and exit siphons, nothing major. I stood around watching the tank for a while yesterday to see if any of the fish were bothering it and didnt see anything suspicious. Just some of the wrasses inspecting the shell and cleaning it. I dont have any fish that are knowing to eat clams. Melanarus wrasse, a black leopard wrasse, regular leopard, yellowtail tamarin, yellow coris, yellow tang, powder blue, a trio of anthias, redline wrasse. Any opinions?
 
Also, I have a crocea right next to it showing no problems, and a maxima up on the rockwork that I've had for over a year which also is showing no problems.
 
Could be nipping from the melanarus wrasse. Keep in mind, tridacna secrete a mucous that can be irresistible to many fish including tangs.
 
I wouldn't remove the fish yet as there's no way to tell which one it could be. As far as why just the derasa I'm not sure. IME, some fish nipped at certain mantles while others did not while having multiple tridacna species in the same tank.
 
I'll be honest though, I had another clam a couple months ago. I did notice the melanarus picking at it. The clam however, was not in the greatest health to begin with so I chucked it up to a one time thing, or that the fish was picking at it sensing it was perishing. This new clam though, is healthy. I might place him in the sump for a while and see if the clam recovers.
 
I had a melanurus kept with my clams for about 6 months then suddenly it started picking on my derasa clam. It was just also picking at the mouth and tore off some flesh. Took me 2 weeks to get that wrasse out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new