Toss the Rock and DInos or attempt to overcome.

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Currently, I have new a tank set up just holding ocean live rock (mix Tampa Bay and KP), no sand, no inhabitants, no coral (except what came along as hitchhikers). Dinos are insane for about 2 months despite the usual treatments (optimize NO3/PHO4, temp to 84, blackouts and MB7). Wondering if it's worth the battle, or if I should just reboot with new live rock. In the grand scheme of things, the $500 bucks to restart really isn't that bad, especially since tank is barely started. I'm a fairly experienced reefer, I've just never seen dinos last this long.

Side question, I have never had dinos in any tank. What percentage of live rock new set-ups do you think get them?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I have new a tank set up just holding ocean live rock (mix Tampa Bay and KP), no sand, no inhabitants, no coral (except what came along as hitchhikers). Dinos are insane for about 2 months despite the usual treatments (optimize NO3/PHO4, temp to 84, blackouts and MB7). Wondering if it's worth the battle, or if I should just reboot with new live rock. In the grand scheme of things, the $500 bucks to restart really isn't that bad, especially since tank is barely started. I'm a fairly experienced reefer, I've just never seen dinos last this long.

Side question, I have never had dinos in any tank. What percentage of live rock new set-ups do you think get them?
How did you identify the growth of concern as dinoflagellates?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long before I knew what they were, I had dinos when I started my first tank - probably 2 or 3 months in - I just kept up with routine water changes, removed what I could from the sand, and they went away on their own.

Your tank is still new. Don't fight every new thing that pops up. Just let the algae cycle take place...

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I took the lights down to make my blackout easier today, so the pics would stink. But in your mind, picture what used to be beautiful very alive live ocean rock, now barely alive and covered in long butt strings of brown snot and tiny bubbles on said snot. This snot is everywhere, especially in the highest flow regions. Also, slight stank to the tank.

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Long before I knew what they were, I had dinos when I started my first tank - probably 2 or 3 months in - I just kept up with routine water changes, removed what I could from the sand, and they went away on their own.

Your tank is still new. Don't fight every new thing that pops up. Just let the algae cycle take place...

I know, I know...always hard not to tweak things! But, with that said, if this outbreak has a chance of being a long battle, would it just be easier handled by quickly swapping out the rocks and cleaning down the tank and avoid this? I mean the tank set up is already major cash. --whats another $500? I've always started with live rock, but never had dinos that last for more than a week or two.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know...always hard not to tweak things! But, with that said, if this has a chance of being a long battle, would just quickly swapping out the rocks and cleaning down the tank avoid this? I've always started with live rock, but never had dinos that last for more than a week or two.
I don't know. Sorry

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

I would not start again, you are in an ideal situation to rid the tank of dinos, if they are dinos.

You don’t want to be doing blackout and lowering the lights, that is the total optic what you should be doing, you want algae and nutrients, dinos can cope with a blackout better than algae.

If my tank I would pull out the rocks and strum in old tank water 3 times a day or more if you can, scrub surfaces, each time too, then change socks/floss, also add some carbon and change regularly.

Get your nutrients up, add pods and phytoplankton, add Uv too if if won’t cost you too much, can really help.

You could start again but who’s to say you won’t get dinos again, you can beat them now so they will no longer be a worry.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long butt strings of brown snot and tiny bubbles on said snot. This snot is everywhere, especially in the highest flow regions.
Long strings indicate attachment from the water. Which means UV would be effective.

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's a video of the plague. I moved some of the rocks into holding tanks for some experiment if anyone wants to try anything.

Attachments

• trim.3208B513-44C3-4F63-9B8C-57C14C42C91F.MOV
    1.1 MB

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa whoa, way too soon to be thinking about tossing out your rocks. Dinos are temporary and can be beaten into submission.
Agree. I saw the video, it does look ugly. However, I wouldn't consider ditching The Rock either. Here's what I'd do.
Suck out whatever Brown Gunk is convenient to vacuum out. Then do a 3-day blackout with UV running in the display. Then reassess what it looks like as the lights come back on.

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
System is about 200 gallons...so UV would be about $500ish. New ocean live rock, prob $700. I guess the questions is odds of beating it within a few months vs odds new tank having exact issue. Really, the money is not the issue here though.

Side note: I have two 20g tanks for QT we could experiment a bit and put my (potential soon to be) UV sterilizer on one of them and run a dino experiment!). Would be a way oversized unit, but could be fun. Wonder if 2 weeks would be enough time to see a difference?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System is about 200 gallons...so UV would be about $500ish. New ocean live rock, prob $700. I guess the questions is odds of beating it within a few months vs odds new tank having exact issue. Really, the money is not the issue here though.

Side note: I have two 20g tanks for QT we could experiment a bit and put my (potential soon to be) UV sterilizer on one of them and run a dino experiment!). Would be a way oversized unit, but could be fun. Wonder if 2 weeks would be enough time to see a difference?
Do what I suggested, even without the uv it’ll be gone in less than a month.

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's a video of the plague. I moved some of the rocks into holding tanks for some experiment if anyone wants to try anything.

Do what I suggested, even without the uv it’ll be gone in less than a month.

Yup! I'm on it! And for those interested, I put about 20 lbs into one of my qt tanks. Dino already growing like mad. Gonna hook hook up a way overpowered Uv sterilize to it on tues/wed. Will do microscope ID before hand. Should be cool experiment.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, you will see results within a day or two, you just can’t let up though on the scrubbing, as soon as you do the dinos take over again, I saw a 90% drop in dinos within days, by two weeks they were near enough gone, I let up so they came back, not as bad the 2nd time, I put in a little more effort and they haven’t been back for over a year now I think it is.

Scrubbing the rocks you’ll be amazed at the amount of dinos you scrub off into the water.

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The suspect....Ostreopsis? Bought a pentair 40 watt for the DT, but will test it on the 20g experiment tanks. results to follow. Super appreciate this forum --thank you for all you folks do!

Attachments

• IMG_2123.MOV
    18.6 MB
Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back