Total and free ammonia

  • Thread starter Thread starter chief80
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chief80

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 25, 2021
Messages
11
Reaction score
5
Location
Norfolk
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening All,

I have been reading and reading and was just wondering if someone could clarify something for me. I tested my DT yesterday and my ammonia had gone from 0to .25ppm on an API test kit. I have read that they can give false readings but also that the API meter kits test for total ammonia and not just free ammonia! I’ve been told my a few mates with more experience than me and they say that I shouldn’t worry and keep testing daily as all my other parameters are where they should be.
What are your thoughts guys?

cheers Sean
 
Is this a new tank? Did you add bacteria? why are you testing ammonia? And yes - they can give false results.
 
Yeah tank is 5 weeks old, I used NSW, live sand and rock. I also used Dr Tim’s one and only
 
Your tank is showing ~ .025 nh3 and that’s a decent reading reflecting the growing bioload, biofilm coverage it’s how reefs should read on that kit. It’s why a million false ammonia posts are made using api, because ammonia doesn’t run zero as tanks age, they run at small degrees of trace ammonia and old cycling science told us to wait for zero so a false conflict exists.
 
Your tank is showing ~ .025 nh3 and that’s a decent reading reflecting the growing bioload, biofilm coverage it’s how reefs should read on that kit. It’s why a million false ammonia posts are made using api, because ammonia doesn’t run zero as tanks age, they run at small degrees of trace ammonia and old cycling science told us to wait for zero so a false conflict exists.
Cheers Brandon, that’s makes complete sense, really appreciate your feedback
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new