Total and free ammonia

chief80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening All,

I have been reading and reading and was just wondering if someone could clarify something for me. I tested my DT yesterday and my ammonia had gone from 0to .25ppm on an API test kit. I have read that they can give false readings but also that the API meter kits test for total ammonia and not just free ammonia! I’ve been told my a few mates with more experience than me and they say that I shouldn’t worry and keep testing daily as all my other parameters are where they should be.
What are your thoughts guys?

cheers Sean

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this a new tank? Did you add bacteria? why are you testing ammonia? And yes - they can give false results.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote false result. Get a Red Sea ammonia test kit!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is showing ~ .025 nh3 and that’s a decent reading reflecting the growing bioload, biofilm coverage it’s how reefs should read on that kit. It’s why a million false ammonia posts are made using api, because ammonia doesn’t run zero as tanks age, they run at small degrees of trace ammonia and old cycling science told us to wait for zero so a false conflict exists.

OP
OP
C

chief80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is showing ~ .025 nh3 and that’s a decent reading reflecting the growing bioload, biofilm coverage it’s how reefs should read on that kit. It’s why a million false ammonia posts are made using api, because ammonia doesn’t run zero as tanks age, they run at small degrees of trace ammonia and old cycling science told us to wait for zero so a false conflict exists.
Cheers Brandon, that’s makes complete sense, really appreciate your feedback

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back