OP
OP
Cuzuco

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled upon this thread as I have been wondering the same thing. I read that leather corals can be pretty toxic if disturbed and can leach toxins throughout the tank so that kind of worries me. I'm not sure how true this is because I have seen many videos of people touching and messing with leathers. I have also seen videos of people being severely stung by some long tentacle anemones but I am not sure of what species. Makes me definitely, want to invest in a long pair of gloves.
Well I already got mines and for the moment I am avoiding palys and xoanthus, anyway there is a lot of choice of corals besides this and is not like you really need to have those on your Tank to have something beautiful.

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I already got mines and for the moment I am avoiding palys and xoanthus, anyway there is a lot of choice of corals besides this and is not like you really need to have those on your Tank to have something beautiful.
This is true. I am also avoiding palys because I think they are ugly and the toxicity factor doesn't help their case.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true. I am also avoiding palys because I think they are ugly and the toxicity factor doesn't help their case.
I don’t know 90% of them are trash. But Paly Grandis are definitely noteworthy and often overlooked.
The size comparison between common plays and the grandis.
FBBF30B5-10E0-4554-BE0A-35CE54905163.jpeg

This is them currently in my new aquascape
BAFD87A9-3367-4E65-BE0B-17BEC57783A9.jpeg

The palys I kept!

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms as well.
I can grab anything in my tank, even long term, like hours when changing to another tank. Anenomes, palythoas, hammers, pretty much all of them. But I once tried to remove a mushroom from its rock with bare hands. It got damaged and it's slime just touched my finger. Within seconds my heart raced and became very dizzy. I ran to our epi-pen that we keep, just in case (I have a 7yo daughter) and got it ready right over my leg. And I set my cell for 911 ready to dial. I use gloves now.
But pretty much Anything in there, if it's broken up or torn apart, could cause some issues.
Also, BRISTLE WORMS. If you think your daughter might be adventurous to stick her hand in there, make sure theres no bristle worms. They won't be life threatening, but they could cause some serious pain and flare up weeks later.

OP
OP
Cuzuco

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms as well.
I can grab anything in my tank, even long term, like hours when changing to another tank. Anenomes, palythoas, hammers, pretty much all of them. But I once tried to remove a mushroom from its rock with bare hands. It got damaged and it's slime just touched my finger. Within seconds my heart raced and became very dizzy. I ran to our epi-pen that we keep, just in case (I have a 7yo daughter) and got it ready right over my leg. And I set my cell for 911 ready to dial. I use gloves now.
But pretty much Anything in there, if it's broken up or torn apart, could cause some issues.
Also, BRISTLE WORMS. If you think your daughter might be adventurous to stick her hand in there, make sure theres no bristle worms. They won't be life threatening, but they could cause some serious pain and flare up weeks later.
Thanks so much for sharing.
I didn’t know this about mushrooms, good to know. Like it was said here, now I always use gloves not k my because of what may happen by manipulating corals but also because of all the bacteria in there, I often have small cuts in my hands and it is good to be able to manipulate rocks or corals without worrying about it. I know about bristle worms and I chase them continuously. Thanks

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are the only thing in my tank thats ever hurt me, and they hurt a LOT pretty much every time I touch them.

If there was a way to eradicate them all I would do it a heartbeat! For now, if I actually remember to wear gloves, its because of the bristleworms.

OP
OP
Cuzuco

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are the only thing in my tank thats ever hurt me, and they hurt a LOT pretty much every time I touch them.

If there was a way to eradicate them all I would do it a heartbeat! For now, if I actually remember to wear gloves, its because of the bristleworms.
Thanks for adding your input to this thread Emeyer

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I would worry so much about palys and zoas unless your fragging them . I wear gloves then . I Never had any issues in my tank ..which I had a large colony .

OP
OP
Cuzuco

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I would worry so much about palys and zoas unless your fragging them . I wear gloves then . I Never had any issues in my tank ..which I had a large colony .
Thanks for that comment Adam. I ser that other corals tend to expel some kind of mucus when they are manipulated (not fraging them just moving them from a place to another) I don’t know if zoas and palys do that but like I said I rather be safe than sorry. Maybe when my girl will be bigger I would consider adding some zoas, as some of them have beautiful colors, but for now there is plenty of choice aside them.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems several people have addressed the concerns with corals...and I know this is not your question...but I would be more concerned about the safety of the tank lol I have one of those kids that does not alway listen to me, so I feel for you (she is a great kid, but just very hard head, stubborn and always knows better than anyone else).

Keep your tools put away to avoid any temptation to help with the corals (she may see a frag on the sand bed and know it should not be there and try to use the tongs to move it back). Or put away the fish food she they do not get a little (lot) extra food because they looked hungry. And don’t leave the mag float on the tank because they are irresistible to kids...and some adults...because one piece of sand can scratch the heck out of the tank.

While taking these precautions, get her involved in the tank. The more involved she is, the more important it may be to her. So when you tell her too much food will harm the tank she may listen. My 8 year old has been involved with my aquariums for 4 or 5 years now. She knows when something is “off” with the tank or something is missing and will let me know.

Kids are smart and take in more than you realize. Quick story...we had discussed clown fish pairing up and about one becoming the female. My then 4 year old daughter woke me up in the middle of the night.
Child: mom, Mom, MOM!!!!!
Me: :::finally opens eyes:::
Child: Since Coral died will Marlin become a female now??? (Finding Nemo)

OP
OP
Cuzuco

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems several people have addressed the concerns with corals...and I know this is not your question...but I would be more concerned about the safety of the tank lol I have one of those kids that does not alway listen to me, so I feel for you (she is a great kid, but just very hard head, stubborn and always knows better than anyone else).

Keep your tools put away to avoid any temptation to help with the corals (she may see a frag on the sand bed and know it should not be there and try to use the tongs to move it back). Or put away the fish food she they do not get a little (lot) extra food because they looked hungry. And don’t leave the mag float on the tank because they are irresistible to kids...and some adults...because one piece of sand can scratch the heck out of the tank.

While taking these precautions, get her involved in the tank. The more involved she is, the more important it may be to her. So when you tell her too much food will harm the tank she may listen. My 8 year old has been involved with my aquariums for 4 or 5 years now. She knows when something is “off” with the tank or something is missing and will let me know.

Kids are smart and take in more than you realize. Quick story...we had discussed clown fish pairing up and about one becoming the female. My then 4 year old daughter woke me up in the middle of the night.
Child: mom, Mom, MOM!!!!!
Me: :::finally opens eyes:::
Child: Since Coral died will Marlin become a female now??? (Finding Nemo)
Lol, that’s one of the best answers I’ve seen in this forum, thanks for the advice.
It is an objective, educational and funny post all at the same time.
Thanks so much for posting SandJ and for the laugh!! :)))

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back