Trace elements and ICP

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Tropic Marin A and K about 4 months ago and I was dosing below the recommended amount until I got an ICP test done. Well I finally got around to doing an icp test and almost everything that is added from the K solution was undetectable. I increased the dosage of K to help correct it, but how long after changing my dosing amount should I wait before doing another icp test?
My thought is that once increasing the dosage the tank would almost immediately show the increased levels, but wanted to ask before sending off another test.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Tropic Marin A and K about 4 months ago and I was dosing below the recommended amount until I got an ICP test done. Well I finally got around to doing an icp test and almost everything that is added from the K solution was undetectable. I increased the dosage of K to help correct it, but how long after changing my dosing amount should I wait before doing another icp test?
My thought is that once increasing the dosage the tank would almost immediately show the increased levels, but wanted to ask before sending off another test.
How are the coral looking and growing?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth is fine, but honestly I don’t get the color out of my SPS as I’d like.
Good growth sounds hopeful. Maybe they are getting all the trace elements they need.

What is the connection between color and trace element concentration? Is there a solid link or maybe the trace element vendors are over emphasizing the importance of trace elements? Just wondering.

Dan

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good growth sounds hopeful. Maybe they are getting all the trace elements they need.

What is the connection between color and trace element concentration? Is there a solid link or maybe the trace element vendors are over emphasizing the importance of trace elements? Just wondering.

Dan
Obviously if I am adding them and and they’re still not detectable something is using them.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously if I am adding them and and they’re still not detectable something is using them.
I wonder if a combination of algae growth and skimming (organic bound trace elements) might explain some of the loss?

Is the amount being added detectable by ICP?

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if a combination of algae growth and skimming (organic bound trace elements) might explain some of the loss?

Is the amount being added detectable by ICP?
No most of the elements were not detectable on an icp test, which is why I upped my dosage. I am sure my refugium absorbs some of the elements, and I honestly skim very little because I have my skimmer setup to not run very efficiently, because my fuge keeps my nutrient levels low.

KG Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send your ICP test into Tropic Marin. I was low on about 5 elements that are a combination of the A and K. I dose all for reef and was wondering if I should start adding more of the A and K even though they are part of the all for reef. I sent my ICP to Tropic Marin and they explained a few of those are undetectable ranges from ICP but by looking at some of the other elements my dosing regimen was good and advised to not add anything.
Zinc and Manganese are an example of a low detection limit but are depleted fast.
I would use their contact form on the website and when they reply, add your ICP test and ask for advice since you are already using A and K elements.

Last edited:

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send your ICP test into Tropic Marin. I was low on about 5 elements that are a combination of the A and K. I dose all for reef and was wondering if I should start adding more of the A and K even though they are part of the all for reef. I sent my ICP to Tropic Marin and they explained a few of those are undetectable ranges from ICP but by looking at some of the other elements my dosing regimen was good and advised to not add anything.
Zinc and Manganese are an example of a low detection limit but are depleted fast.
I would use their contact form on the website and when they reply, add your ICP test and ask for advice since you are already using A and K elements.

Good call out.

Can you help a brother out @Lou Ekus and @Hans-Werner

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was actually a Fauna Marin ICP test that I used. It has recommendations for dosing but it breaks it down by individual element and not by how much of A or K to use. I hadn’t planned on attaching my icp test because I was only wanting to know how long until I should send in another test, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to include it. I’m just wanting to get closer with all elements before trying to worry about individual elements.

Also, I’m glad you mentioned manganese because that is one of the ones I cared most about. Im starting to get into gonis and although they’re doing well I know manganese is important to goni health.

Attachments

• 031822ICP.pdf
    139.3 KB · Views: 58

KG Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same thought as you. I used an ATI test though but I wanted advice from Tropic Marin as I was dosing their additives. They were a great help is why I was recommending to contact them, even if you are using Fauna Marin ICP. I would normally say every few months for an ICP but if you are wanting to verify dosing you would need to do sooner. I think that some of those trace elements are going to be so low detection and consumed or precipitate faster than it will read though. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your coral look like?

Your goal is to hit ICP #s or have good looking corals?

Staring Dario Argento GIF

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was actually a Fauna Marin ICP test that I used. It has recommendations for dosing but it breaks it down by individual element and not by how much of A or K to use. I hadn’t planned on attaching my icp test because I was only wanting to know how long until I should send in another test, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to include it. I’m just wanting to get closer with all elements before trying to worry about individual elements.

Also, I’m glad you mentioned manganese because that is one of the ones I cared most about. Im starting to get into gonis and although they’re doing well I know manganese is important to goni health.
I wouldn't necessarily know how to address some of the individual traces by your ICP test. But I am betting that Hans-Werner Balling would. I would also suggest using the contact form on our website and ask @Hans-Werner specifically about your ICP test. I'm sure he will help.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is not to chase numbers or worry about ICP results. If your system looks fine and doing what you want then leave it alone. ICP tests, depending on which one you use, are more or less an outside look at a system at 20,000 feet. Use it as a one time tool to see if anything is majorly off. Other than don't chase.

This has nothing to do with the product you are dosing and everything to do what the hobbyist visual assessment of their display. We, hobbyists, do not need ICP tests to be successful.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily know how to address some of the individual traces by your ICP test. But I am betting that Hans-Werner Balling would. I would also suggest using the contact form on our website and ask @Hans-Werner specifically about your ICP test. I'm sure he will help.
I appreciate the reply but the whole point of my thread was to determine when to do another icp after increasing how much I am dosing. After I get it close to where I want my trace elements I will use the form on the website.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back