Trace elements from calcium reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a "BRSTV Investigates" episode here:

In it, at about 0:50, Randy refers to another episode where they showed that calcium reactor media doesn't contain a meaningful amount of trace elements. I've searched and searched, and I can't find that episode. I'd like to hear more details about what they found. Does anyone have a link for that episode?

Thanks!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only trace elements that dissolve back into solution are the ones that are bound to the skeleton initially. Most trace elements are utilized by the soft tissue/zooxanthellae rather than the skeleton itself. I would never count on media to provide trace elements and most only provide Ca/Alk with special added media providing mag. Also, coral skeletons will also add a good portion of PO4 as well, some more so than others.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, and thanks. I'd still like to see that video though, I'm curious about the details.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was never a video on this specific topic as the ICP test we sent in had almost no trace element content. It would've been a pretty dull and quick episode Like @minus9 said, I wouldn't count on calcium reactor media for trace elements.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha! Thanks. So the mystery video, referred to several times, doesn’t actually exist. Tricky. So apparently that means that coral skeletons are made exclusively of calcium.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back