Trace elements

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it's 219 ..should be 30-90 . My lfs says to run polly pads.. should I do that.. should I change salts.. zinc and aluminum is also high. But not as bad. Im a auto mechanic. I bet the zinc is coming from my hands.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it's 219 ..should be 30-90 . My lfs says to run polly pads.. should I do that.. should I change salts.. zinc and aluminum is also high. But not as bad. Im a auto mechanic. I bet the zinc is coming from my hands.

NSW iodine total is about 60 ug/L. That doesn't mean higher is causing issues. Some folks have had it much higher, and iodide and iodate (assuming that is what it is) are not very toxic.

I do not think there's any commercial material you can use that will bind it from seawater.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience with trace elements is they work when you have a large coral load consuming them, and at the point water changes start to become uneconomical and a real pain always mixing saltwater etc.

I have a 40b with a 40b frag tank attached, probably 60g total water. Lots of coral growth and decent sized colonies. I was doing a weekly 5g wc, maybe every 3-4weeks really deep clean and do 10g. Growth just seemed to stall out after a while. The consumption of ca/alk remained pretty static, and stopped increasing. I was just Dosing brs soda ash and calcium.

started with the brs tm hybrid method. Added the a and k to the alk and calcium, and started adding the part c. Almost instantly things started growing faster, my daily consumption amount almost doubled in 2 months.

the only downside I’ve noticed (besides the added cost per month) is I get a lot more salt creep. I feel that it’s whatever extra elements that may be in higher concentration than necessary basically precipitated out. It also blocks up the skimmer air line and I have to clean it out every 2-3 weeks vs 5-6 before

How did this approach work out for you? Is it still working? I sent you a DM as well. I have a very similar water volume, have the same dosing regiment (just soda ash and calcium chloride) and am doing a weekly 5 gallon water change, with a deep clean every month and a half or so that is maybe 15 gallons or 10 gallons. Issue there is that nitrates drop too low and I inevitably get a little cyano outbreak, or something, until the nitrates go up and it seems to slowly clear up. my growth has stalled, softies are looking kind of bad, my SPS has stopped, my zoas stopped spreading, etc.

Params:

10.5 alk
1400 magnesium
420 calcium
8.2 ph
1-5 nitrates
67 gallons of net water volume

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back