Trachy Recession/Bailout Help

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in a really shaded spot with low flow at the moment
I can only say a few of mine went that way and I thought they were dying for sure but they rebounded huge. They still shrivel up at night showing skeleton but then really inflate. They need some light though not darkness. Get your magnesium up. Make sure nitrates at 10 and phosphate at .07.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think a iodine dip may help here, use tank water, and then dip again in bowl of just tank water
before back to display.

OP
OP
DJTJ

DJTJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only say a few of mine went that way and I thought they were dying for sure but they rebounded huge. They still shrivel up at night showing skeleton but then really inflate. They need some light though not darkness. Get your magnesium up. Make sure nitrates at 10 and phosphate at .07.
Whats the best way to bring up magnesium? I am using the brs jugs but the dosing calculator is giving me a crazy number. Is there a limit to dosing mag?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the best way to bring up magnesium? I am using the brs jugs but the dosing calculator is giving me a crazy number. Is there a limit to dosing mag?
I've used that Kent magnesium solution and dosing like 30ml raises mine like 18ppm per day. I think you can go a little higher on the mount per day to with no side affects. Really your water changes should be keeping magnesium good and limited dosing should be required. It only goes down at 1/10th the ratio calcium decreases.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get an ICP test and check everything in your tank to make sure you are in balance. I just got mine done and almost a perfect score which is why the corals seem to be thriving now. You can try direct feeding your trachy but I never feed mine like that

Reefer/0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild guess but could the sand or something in the sand be irritating it? Putting it on a flat surface while still in very low flow and light might help. Water change could help return correct saltwater levels. Are there any vermetids nearby? Following along to see how this progresses

OP
OP
DJTJ

DJTJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild guess but could the sand or something in the sand be irritating it? Putting it on a flat surface while still in very low flow and light might help. Water change could help return correct saltwater levels. Are there any vermetids nearby? Following along to see how this progresses
I put it on a large frag plug and did a wc/ supplemented dosing to bring everything up to normal levels. There are no vermetids in the system. it doesnt look good :(

Reefer/0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to hear :cry: sometimes these things happen and we don’t always know why :( . If flow, light and water params are good, would leave it alone for a while and see how it goes. Fingers crossed it’ll bounce back!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back