Trade, Sell or Donate

What do you do with your loose coral frags?

• Total voters

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for several years but dont have many IRL friends in the hobby. Im a member of my local reef aquarium group but work and family keep me from being super active. Because i've been so busy with family its kept me from 'tinkering' too much on the tank and as a lot of folks have probably guessed my fish and coral love it! haha.
Now im running into the wonderful issue of just too much growth. Zoas are going wild, mushrooms are running amuck, anemone are splitting, sticks are just self fragging and the rack at the back of the tank is looking congested.

Im just generally curious:What do most folks do with your extra frags? Sell to LFS, sell/trade on your local FB group, ship or donate?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for several years but dont have many IRL friends in the hobby. Im a member of my local reef aquarium group but work and family keep me from being super active. Because i've been so busy with family its kept me from 'tinkering' too much on the tank and as a lot of folks have probably guessed my fish and coral love it! haha.
Now im running into the wonderful issue of just too much growth. Zoas are going wild, mushrooms are running amuck, anemone are splitting, sticks are just self fragging and the rack at the back of the tank is looking congested.

Im just generally curious:What do most folks do with your extra frags? Sell to LFS, sell/trade on your local FB group, ship or donate?
All three.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you are missing another option: throw in the garbage. While I hate to do it, sometimes those 4 options don’t work and you have no choice but to chuck something.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you swap with local reefers and something happens you have a supply to draw from. Local reefers are willing to help if they didn't have to pay for the corals.

That what we do up here. It's a great way to set up a local coral ark.

I also sell some and trade to lfs.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you are missing another option: throw in the garbage. While I hate to do it, sometimes those 4 options don’t work and you have no choice but to chuck something.

I unfortunately had to do this as well. What bugs me is that you offer it for free to local reefers, and I live in a state with a relatively active and large number of reefers, and the people don't show up for pickup. I've found that if you charge a couple bucks...say five bucks per frag....there is a better chance that they'll show up. Very frustrating.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately had to do this as well. What bugs me is that you offer it for free to local reefers, and I live in a state with a relatively active and large number of reefers, and the people don't show up for pickup. I've found that if you charge a couple bucks...say five bucks per frag....there is a better chance that they'll show up. Very frustrating.
This seems to be a phenomenon across the board. When I’ve been doing a house clean and need to get rid of perfectly ok things because I have no space/realistic need anymore I’ve found many folks no-show for free stuff but more reliably turn up for things they’ve committed a nominal sum for.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS for credit since I can just bring in a bunch in one go and unload.

I don't really want to waste time waiting for people to come pick up or no show.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's generally what happens.....I don't expect many takers for discoma covered rocks with a helping of vermetid snails.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have social media like FB for example, there could be an online group in your local area. you could have new customers to sell to or better yet meet new IRL friends in the hobby. Pay it forward a little and start someone new into the hobby with a nice donation and some lessons of do's and don'ts for a few beers perhaps.

Back