OP
OP
ReefHomieJon

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm into NPS corals. So took me about 2 years to get close to perfection, still working on that. I feed a method called broadcast feeding, fine powder foods like reefroids. No spot feeding. My filtration system can handle it. The way your feeding, best for your type of filtration. In 2mo. or less more babies coming, all perimeters need to be stable to get babies
I barely even feed my corals, every blue moon. Only one I worry about now is that sun colony. What kind of filtration do you run? Since you deemed mine inadequate lol

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I barely even feed my corals, every blue moon. Only one I worry about now is that sun colony. What kind of filtration do you run? Since you deemed mine inadequate lol
Simple, I think. Dry coral rock, 20 lbs, for 100 gallon volume. Home made DE filtration on discharge of return pump. 2 gallon homemade canister filter, circulates in sump. And a sulfur denitrator to control NO3 & PO4. seems to work
Also CUC made of 150 snails and pods

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put the frozen Mysis cube in a cup of tank water.
when it is thawed, stir it up.
when the Mysis settle back to the bottom of the cup, suck up the water in a turkey baster
and target feed the colony. the "scent" will entice the polyps to open. then you can feed the polyps the Mysis.
you will also need to tease that cleaner shrimp, with food to another part of the tank.
it will take the Mysis right out of the polyps.
nice colony.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m saying. I have a few tiny polyps that are super small forming on the rock

If thats the case you are fine and I would keep doing what you are doing. But if you are still worried then broadcast fee(soak the meat in reefroids) as it will be very likely to grab a few small pieces without blasting it with a turkey baster making it close back up(since its still adjusting)
You may also have too much light on them, but you also said you see babies, so i doubt it, but possible. Since being NFS, these guys live at lower then average reef depths to where reefs slope off at around 3000 feet. So I don't really think they can be "trained" since they don't care for light.

"Some genera of the species are more comfortable inhabiting great depths of the seas then the lush reef rich aquatic wildlife habitat found in shallow waters, and have been known to colonize deep sea shipwrecks. Because the Dendro Coral do not rely on sunlight, but rather on the availability of nutrients, they can thrive in dark waters.
Be warned that the Dendro Coral could get “too much light” and/or “too much flow”, if it does it will take a defensive stance and closed up. This would make feeding very difficult, in turn would lead to the coral’s death by starvation. These corals will do best when placed under a protrusion of rock or in a relatively deep area. The same applies with too much water flow, the tentacles will stay retracted and the coral will take on a defensive posture. By placing your Dendro Coral in a in a low light and medium flow tank, and providing a consistent feeding regiment you are all but guaranteed a flourishing coral colony."

"I have noticed that with the Dendrophyllia there is such a thing as “too much light” and “too much flow”. If the coral is getting too much light you will notice they stay closed up. This will make feeding difficult and will in turn lead to the death of the coral. These corals will do best when placed under a ledge of rock or near the bottom. Low light is not a worry when it comes to these corals. The same applies with too much water flow, the tentacles will stay retracted. Place the corals in low light and medium flow and it will flourish. "

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my dendros always seemed to be open, even in a well lit sps tank. I "semi" target fed them- basically a turkey baster squirt of live white worms- which get the best feeding response. I went from 3 to around 25 polyps in a bit over a year or so doing that.

This summer I got some black Tubastrea which seemed to only want to open at night. They were hard to train there where I had them positioned in the tank, so I moved all NPS to my big frag tray downstairs. Now I just feed them all when the tubastrea opens, which is right after the lights go off. So I guess they trained me.

Went from 3 tubastrea polyps to around 10 in a few months. White worms and some coral foods, although the latter tend to be a bit small but I'm feeding it to other corals.

OP
OP
ReefHomieJon

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple, I think. Dry coral rock, 20 lbs, for 100 gallon volume. Home made DE filtration on discharge of return pump. 2 gallon homemade canister filter, circulates in sump. And a sulfur denitrator to control NO3 & PO4. seems to work
Also CUC made of 150 snails and pods
Not much different than mine really. And I just realized your name is dr. DENDROstein lol nps must really be your thing

OP
OP
ReefHomieJon

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put the frozen Mysis cube in a cup of tank water.
when it is thawed, stir it up.
when the Mysis settle back to the bottom of the cup, suck up the water in a turkey baster
and target feed the colony. the "scent" will entice the polyps to open. then you can feed the polyps the Mysis.
you will also need to tease that cleaner shrimp, with food to another part of the tank.
it will take the Mysis right out of the polyps.
nice colony.
Yea he’s always bothering them. Thanks tho. I’m going to move it to the darkest spot in my tank probably Sunday and see if it encourages it to come out and play
Who sees it??
Hint. It’s moving far away from the cleaner shrimps home base
2FCCFD2B-5DCD-4F45-BF41-4CE76C0D4091.jpeg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to wack someone, all I gotta do, to get rid of the evidence is throw the body in my tank, and my mini snails finish the job. It's like a mini pig pen. Efficient carnivores. Of course we're only speaking hypothetically.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sun corals can be a real pain especially in a reef..
They require regular feedings and usually at night when they open.
I have heard of people training but it is really hard..

First you have to coax them to open. I have heard of people adding stuff to the water or squeezing a shrimp head over them.

Dr. Dendrostien has a nps tank.
What he is pulling off would never happen in a regular reef tank especially with the lighting. It would be a algae garden.
With a NPS tank some of the NPS corals need almost constant food usually through some dosing system. The load this causes on a reef can cause high phosphates and nitrates pretty quickly and sometime requires more filtration than a regular reef..

Sun corals are certainly doable in a regular reef they just require feeding. They can spawn in a reef like pocillopora with planulae and have babies all over the tank.

OP
OP
ReefHomieJon

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to wack someone, all I gotta do, to get rid of the evidence is throw the body in my tank, and my mini snails finish the job. It's like a mini pig pen. Efficient carnivores. Of course we're only speaking hypothetically.
Can you show a pic of your whole tank? And filtration

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back