Transfer from sick tank?

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve somehow introduced something that’s killed a lot of my lps. I’m super upset. I’ve been doing good things were recovering, and then I noticed last night one acan beginning to retract again. I’ve had no losses for about a week plus. So I scrubbed the glass, changed the water and put in new. Looks way worse today. Anyways I’m getting ready to set up my 75, and I was planning to use my live rock and my sand to seed the tank but now I don’t know because I’m afraid of transferring whatever this is into my new tank. Advice? I got some new corals on Black Friday and one wasn’t doing well but things didn’t hit the fan until I added some new snails.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals DO NOT like change. You must be careful in your husbandry in that the cure is not worse than the disease.

Do you feed your LPS?

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals DO NOT like change. You must be careful in your husbandry in that the cure is not worse than the disease.

Do you feed your LPS?
I do feed reef roids, but I've been avoiding it. I've been nervous to make them retract at all with whatever is going on. I was afraid it'd kill them. All my zoas and things are fine and I'm running carbon. No idea what the issue actually is but the last time I posted about it we've come down to something in the tank that was introduced that's killing it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with parameters:
salinity (calibrated refractometer)
Alkalinity
NO3
PO4 (Hanna)
System age

Next, describe the dying process. Is there any brown jelly? (a soft, light brown, goopy stuff)

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with parameters:
salinity (calibrated refractometer)
Alkalinity
NO3
PO4 (Hanna)
System age

Next, describe the dying process. Is there any brown jelly? (a soft, light brown, goopy stuff)
Salinity is 1.025, I haven't tested today because I had to leave first thing this morning, but this is following the same path as the others. No goopy stuff, just retracts and dies quickly. I've lost 4 euphyllia, 3 acans. I'll get numbers for you later tonight when I get home, but last time they were normal, 1.025, 8.3, 40 for nitrate (needed a water change) PO4 I didn't test for. Tank is 1.5 years old. Never had issues like this before. I had a huge 7 headed frogspawn I'd had since I got my tank cycled and it began retracting one evening and I just figured I needed a water change. I had to wait until my 2 and 3 year old went to nap and the 3 hours between the retraction and naptime half of it was dead and then once the lights went out the rest died. I'd recently added some corals I bought from black friday and the most recent addition was snails and that was when it all went bad for me.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to rule out some of the basics.

Are you dosing 2-Part?
PO4 is important to have -- at least some trace of.

Such quick death gives me some concern about potential contaminants from faulty equipment, or external stuff. If you can grab a copper test kit, or send out a sample for ICP testing.

As to the transfer question... that process is going to stress the corals, so you probably want to wait until things settle. I am a huge proponent of "live rock" like you currently have. The only thing that would hold me back is if the rock/sand was contaminated with something like copper.

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to rule out some of the basics.

Are you dosing 2-Part?
PO4 is important to have -- at least some trace of.

Such quick death gives me some concern about potential contaminants from faulty equipment, or external stuff. If you can grab a copper test kit, or send out a sample for ICP testing.

As to the transfer question... that process is going to stress the corals, so you probably want to wait until things settle. I am a huge proponent of "live rock" like you currently have. The only thing that would hold me back is if the rock/sand was contaminated with something like copper.
So do an ICP and if all goes well you'd transfer the rock/sand? You wouldn't be worried about whatever was killing the corals to transfer to the new tank? I'm going to also purchase some coral RX I think, do the ICP and see. I'm doing a negative space aquascape so I'm going to build it and then cure it, but it'd be nice to seed with my live rock that's covered in the coralline. I do have a small algae issue, I've had bubble algae, got it from the same place I got the snails about a year ago but it's isolated to one rock so I won't use it. But the other two should be fair game.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do an ICP and if all goes well you'd transfer the rock/sand? You wouldn't be worried about whatever was killing the corals to transfer to the new tank? I'm going to also purchase some coral RX I think, do the ICP and see. I'm doing a negative space aquascape so I'm going to build it and then cure it, but it'd be nice to seed with my live rock that's covered in the coralline. I do have a small algae issue, I've had bubble algae, got it from the same place I got the snails about a year ago but it's isolated to one rock so I won't use it. But the other two should be fair game.
Well it would be good to understand what is causing this mortality.
Parameters/nutrients/lack of PO4?
Contaminants?
Bacterial? (no apparent brown jelly infection)
Finally, pests.

I am not familiar with which LPS pests to look for.

Back