Transferring bio brick from “infested” tank

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dealing with a severe infestation of Aiptasia and vermatids and have decided to start over with my rock.

My game plan is:
1) Purchase new rock and get the aquascape I want.

2) Let the rock cycle/mature in brute cans for ~2 months

3) Pull out all livestock in another brute with circulation and heat.

4) Remove all sand, rock, and water

5) Clean tank, overflow, and plumbing to make sure no pests get reintroduced

6) Put in new sand and rock

7) Reintroduced all livestock

I’ve got a mixed reef (sps, LPS, clams, anemones, etc) and want to keep everything alive.

I’m wanting to have as stable water as possible because this will essentially be a new tank.

I’m thinking about getting some bio bricks in my sump for the next 2 months to get cycled and build up the bacteria. I don’t want to do this if there is a risk of reintroducing vermatids, Aiptasia, or Amphidinium Dinos that I’ve battling with.

My sump does not have lights and I have not seen any pests. Would this be safe or not worth the risk?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pesty Aiptasia will hide behind the electrical wall outlets in your house until you get the new tank set up, then move right in by climbing in on the electrical cords.

If the sump was disinfected and not hooked up to the tank, bio bricks would be fine, otherwise its a chance you take. But then, if you buy corals, snails or ..... you are taking a chance also. Only you know how much risk too take.

Me, I have 5 aiptasia about 4 inches tall. Going on 2 years now I dont mess with them and I guess my peppermints or something eat the offspring.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back