Transferring heat from power bricks/drivers into tank

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the biggest costs for me in reefing is heating the tank during winter. Granted I don’t live in an extreme climate however, I do live in an expensive one (California).

Aside from lighting, heating is a big cost. Despite getting up to triple digits, a simple fan blowing at the surface programmed with my Apex keeps my temp right where it needs to be in the summer, no chiller needed.

I had a thought and I’m sure many of you have as well. The drivers to my LED’s get hot, I mean scorching hot. So hot that I have A/V puck fans blowing on each one when they are working during the day.

Have any of you tried to somehow transfer this heat (safely) back into your tank somehow? It just seems like a lot of wasted heat!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to heat your house in Winter? If yes then the heat generated by power bricks isn’t wasted.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to heat your house in Winter? If yes then the heat generated by power bricks isn’t wasted.
Off and on, yes but not all the time.

My tank is an in-wall so I have a constant on fan pulling air out of the small room that it’s in to keep moisture down. Much of that heat from the drivers is pulled right out the vent fan so it definitely doesn’t go to the rest of the house.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back