Return to the Reef - My Fluval 32.5 Marine Tank

BlueFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see a whole lot posted about people's experience with the Fluval 32.5 Marine Tank, so I figured I'd share my own setup and open myself up to advice/comments/questions!

This tank has been up and running for a couple months now. I've added a picture (sorry for the blue, that just how my phone takes the photo with the lights, and the floaty stuff is all microbubbles my skimmer pukes out). I went for a more concentrated reef look with lots of nooks and cranny's to hide in. Plus fun to watch the crabs climb the walls.

As far as parts and stock:

Equipment:
Fluval 32.5 gal Marine
30lbs - Carribsea Live Sand with Arag-Alive
40lbs - Carribsea Life Rock
2x Hydor Koralia Circulation Pumps ( 425 gph ) + Hydor Wave controller
2nd Fluval Marine 3.0 Light - Just ordered as part became available (Link to the Light)
Fluval PS1 Protein Skimmer
Fluval 150 watt heater ( tank temp fluctuates between 75 and 78 with lights on)

Live Things:

3 Firefish - They're all buddies and like to hide in the same spot
Bunch of snails and hermits to keep the algae at bay.

Food:
Right now, just feeding the Firefish TDO chroma boost daily. I'll probably add some frozen food to feed a couple times a week when I add the clowns in. Open to other suggestions as well.
Will be using Marine Snow when I add corals/dusters

Dosing/Treatments:
Not doing any type of dosing right now. Not sure of what I should be adding, if anything, to be honest. I do add some bio-spora after I do a water change.

Ongoing Issues and how I've been addressing them:

Temp Fluctuations: This has been the biggest pain point for me. Given that this system is hooded (and a narrow hood at that), the tank doesn't have a very good system for dispersing that heat. The heater is set to around 76, but on hot days the room the tank is in (despite the fans) can climb to almost 80. To help, I keep the lid off the filter compartment and take the entire hood and slide it back about an inch (not enough for the firefish to jump out because they're known to carpet surf). While this has helped a bit, still worried about maintaining temps. The fish at this point don't seem to be happy in the last few days. They're normally out and curious, but due to the heat, have been hiding together in their cave. I would hope its to conserve energy, but they still come out and eat. I've also been turning the lights down earlier to keep the temps under wraps. I don't want to invest in a chiller as they're all super expensive to a nano build. I'm trying to figure out some AC for this room as an alternative. I have seen some DIY posts about adding a fan to the lid, but I don't want to break the lid trying to cut a hole for a fan. So if anyone has any advice about fitting a fan/cooling system to the lid of this tank, please share! I had to bribe the lads with some food to coax them out for pictures.

Diatom blooms: After the cycle completed in a few weeks (thanks LIfeRock!), diatoms started showing up. Snails, crabs, and sand turning during water changes help control it.

Skimmer - Had microbubbles for about 4 weeks before they started to calm down. Fluval support has been less than helpful. Tried fully closing the air tube to the collection cup, nothing. I've gotten them to reduce a bit, but still have them. I wish I could figure out how to eliminate them completely. Water level is right between the lines.

Future Plans:

Fish: Along with the 3 firefish I have now, I plan to add a pair of clowns (thinking snowflake. I like the white!), maybe some sort of sand dweller (like a blenny or goby), and either a dwarf angel or reef safe wrasse (like a small fairy wrasse). I think even then it might be too much, but will have to see how the tank params play out after slow additions.

Corals: I won't be doing any corals until the second light shows up. Haven't figured out what types I'll go for. Mostly looking to improve the aesthetics of the tank. Maybe some star polyps and mushrooms, maybe some easy SPS as well

Inverts: Other than keeping the cleaning crew going, Will probably add a couple featherdusters, and maybe some coral banded shrimp or sexy shrimp

Overall, my plan to stock comes with making sure all the tank params are OK to add. As far as equipment, I can't really think of anything else that is needed (other than something to help control temp with the closed lid). Any suggestions/comments/questions are greatly welcome! Been away from the hobby for a while now, so guidance is always appreciated.

As it grows and I add more, I'll be sure to add more pictures!

IMG_1262.jpg IMG_1263.jpg

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see your pumps, where do you have your outflow directed. i want to get 2 of these for circulation but not sure where to point the flow of water from the return. thanks, looks awesome i like this tank. i upgraded the filer basket from the sponge to a different one link below. we'll see how it goes once i get them installed

OP
OP
BlueFish1

BlueFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see your pumps, where do you have your outflow directed. i want to get 2 of these for circulation but not sure where to point the flow of water from the return. thanks, looks awesome i like this tank. i upgraded the filer basket from the sponge to a different one link below. we'll see how it goes once i get them installed

Right now, I have the outflow pointed out at about a 45 degree angle. The pumps are strong enough to counter act that current and create a nice circulation. I have the wavemaker set to 1 minute right now, but going to play with it to see what works best when I start adding filter feeders.

Let me know how that filter basket works out for you! If you could take a pic and share it, that would be awesome! I do notice that there isn't a whole lot of circulation back in the filter compartments, which also may be part of the problem I have with microbubbles from the skimmer. I have seen some people trim off some of the grate for the overflow to allow more water in and to encourage surface skimming. Might have to invest in these if they work out for you!

EDIT: Well, I did some reading about the baskets and they seem to really help with waterflow and reducing tank temps which has been an ongoing problem. Bought them direct from the manufacturer as they had a sale going on if you bought two!

Last edited:

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I have the outflow pointed out at about a 45 degree angle. The pumps are strong enough to counter act that current and create a nice circulation. I have the wavemaker set to 1 minute right now, but going to play with it to see what works best when I start adding filter feeders.

Let me know how that filter basket works out for you! If you could take a pic and share it, that would be awesome! I do notice that there isn't a whole lot of circulation back in the filter compartments, which also may be part of the problem I have with microbubbles from the skimmer. I have seen some people trim off some of the grate for the overflow to allow more water in and to encourage surface skimming. Might have to invest in these if they work out for you!

EDIT: Well, I did some reading about the baskets and they seem to really help with waterflow and reducing tank temps which has been an ongoing problem. Bought them direct from the manufacturer as they had a sale going on if you bought two!

Nice! i will post some this weekend. i plan to buy the same set up of power heads and wave maker you have here soon. the only thing i don't have is a skimmer for it so i have my outflow angled higher moving the top water around at the moment. i look forward to following you, not many people have these tanks that i've seen anyway.

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great to find another Flex 32.2 owner. I have one setup. My 2 clowns go in the tank next week after finishing their quarantine.

I‘m struggling with the tank temp as well. Mine fluctuates between 79-83 with the hood and light on. It’s near an AC vent too. My house temp is set to 75. I have kids so I prefer to have something with a hood. Plus I’ve never been a huge fan of some open top aquariums. It’s like having a car without an engine hood. Haha:) I purchased the InTank baskets hoping this will help reduce the temp 1-2 degrees. I will setup this weekend. And I do not want to add an expensive chiller or invasive fan either.

I’ve seen a few videos claiming that 2 lights is not needed on these tanks. That 1 light is all you need for most coral. What are your thoughts? The temp issue discouraged me from buying another one.

I wanted to test out one of the baskets as a refugium when the tank becomes more established. I have a small LED that I plan to stick on the back of the tank. Probably not needed but I wanted to test this out to see if I can get chaeto to grow.

Not sure I’ll add a skimmer yet. Depends on fish load. I think water changes do just as good of a job on small tanks. I’ve read and heard that all these nano skimmers have micro bubble issues. Most clear up eventually.

Here is my setup so far....

2 Jebao SOW 5
1 Fluval 150 W heater
1 Fluval Marine 3.0 light
Live Sand and Life Rock
2 InTank Media Baskets (adding this weekend)

Considering adding as experiments:
1 Duetto ATO
IM ChaetoMax Refugium LED 9w

Last edited:

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great to find another Flex 32.2 owner. I have one setup. My 2 clowns go in the tank next week after finishing their quarantine.

I‘m struggling with the tank temp as well. Mine fluctuates between 79-83 with the hood and light on. It’s near an AC vent too. My house temp is set to 75. I have kids so I prefer to have something with a hood. I purchased the InTank baskets hoping this will help reduce the temp 1-2 degrees. I will setup this weekend. And I do not want to add an expensive chiller or invasive fan either.

I’ve seen a few videos claiming that 2 lights is not needed on these tanks. That 1 light is all you need for most coral. What are your thoughts? The temp issue discouraged me from buying another one.

I wanted to test out one of the baskets as a refugium when the tank becomes more established. I have a small LED that I plan to stick on the back of the tank. Probably not needed but I wanted to test this out to see if I can get chaeto to grow.

Not sure I’ll add a skimmer yet. Depends on fish load. I think water changes do just as good of a job on small tanks. I’ve read and heard that all these nano skimmers have micro bubble issues. Most clear up eventually.

Here is my setup so far....

2 Jebao SOW 5
1 Fluval 150 W heater
1 Fluval Marine 3.0 light
Live Sand and Life Rock
2 InTank Media Baskets (adding this weekend)

Considering adding as experiments:
1 Duetto ATO
IM ChaetoMax Refugium LED 9w
Awesome, i haven't had any issues with temps in the tank. i have the 150 heater inside as well. i keep the house during the day at 73 and at night 76. temp stays at 76/77 in tank with or without the lights on (thats what its set at). I do use one of the pre programmed schedule for the lights, not sure if that helps or not.

the only thing if got going on right now is green algae all over my rocks. its not hair algae, but the hard green stuff (micro maybe, or even coralline starting?). i've changed my light schedule to see if that helps. My tank finished cycling a little over a month ago

Last edited:

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I've received the InTank Media baskets (link below) and the water flow is noticeably faster coming into the filter media. I have it set up as such 1st chamber filter floss, 2nd chamber Active reef carbon (Reef Spec), 3rd chamber empty.

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
Nice! i will post some this weekend. i plan to buy the same set up of power heads and wave maker you have here soon. the only thing i don't have is a skimmer for it so i have my outflow angled higher moving the top water around at the moment. i look forward to following you, not many people have these tanks that i've seen anyway.

need to do better with my rocks but for now its working. i've left some overhead for later in finding some branchy rock to add. im terrible in that area

tank.jpg

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skiff21 I have the same setup in the Intank but I kept the Fluval bio media in the bottom chamber so I can keep the beneficial bacteria going.
That is a good idea. i've got some more. really i wanted to see what the flow looked like without it. do you run all 3 chamber filled ?

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skiff21 Right now...1 floss, 2 carbon, 3 bio. I will eventually run Purigen and Chemipure with the poly filter and keep some bio media as well. Unfortunately I did not see any noticeable temp change after installing the basket and removing the back compartment hood. However, I saw an ad today for mini portable AC unit for $80 I might try one and setup next to tank.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your temperature fluctuations since your tank is not massive you could throw in a few Igloo ice packs periodically when your tank gets to hot. I’ve personally done this a few times in my 36 and it will bring the temperature down 2-3 degrees in one hr.

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skiff21 Right now...1 floss, 2 carbon, 3 bio. I will eventually run Purigen and Chemipure with the poly filter and keep some bio media as well. Unfortunately I did not see any noticeable temp change after installing the basket and removing the back compartment hood. However, I saw an ad today for mini portable AC unit for $80 I might try one and setup next to tank.
@kpoj9 i noticed once i put my media baskets in that the temp went up about 2 degrees the next day. not sure if its because i added more water to ensure the water over flowed the new basket which inturn is closer to the lights making it hotter....but i have LED's ....still running that one down as far as where the heats coming from. gota be the pump if not the heater

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your temperature fluctuations since your tank is not massive you could throw in a few Igloo ice packs periodically when your tank gets to hot. I’ve personally done this a few times in my 36 and it will bring the temperature down 2-3 degrees in one hr.
not a bad idea for a quick fix

OP
OP
BlueFish1

BlueFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been slacking, so I'll respond to all in one go. ;)

- As far as temps, I haven't gotten my intank media baskets yet, but I ordered two of them. I found a single vendor (Big Al's Pets) out of New York that sells some of the other fluval chemical sponges (phosphate, nitrite, etc..) but seems to be the only place that has them in limited supply. I'm hoping that when I drop the baskets in, it will help with temp control. I keep it at 76, and the highest its been at is right under 80. I also live in Seattle, so these few months are more concerning than the rest of the year, and won't really be concerned about the lighting. I might try dropping some ice cubes on top of the sponge filters or use that ice pack idea. I just don't want to shock the tank. Some people have reported a drop of 1-2 degrees with the baskets, mostly about better surface movement. If it helps at all, then I'm happy. Luckily they're not spikes and gradual increases and decreases. Plus the fish still come out and eat (and chase their reflections), so I think they're alright for now. Worst comes to worse, I'll figure out how to install a fan on the hood. Melting the plastic seems safer than actually cutting it and risking a crack.

- As for the lighting, I have read and watched some videos that give mixed opinions. Mostly that the stock light will totally work for most corals, but adding a second light (people have been using aftermarket brands), their corals responded much better (more vibrant colors, higher polyp production, etc..). Figured at this point couldn't hurt to get another one. Plus, with the amount of rock I have, I'd like to light up some of the darker spots or really get into the variable lighting that the fluval lights offer.

- For the algae, my CUC did a pretty good job (about 15 snails of different varieties and 10 hermits). Also during my water changes, stirred up the sand to cover the diatoms on the bottom so they'd die.

OP
OP
BlueFish1

BlueFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kpoj9 i noticed once i put my media baskets in that the temp went up about 2 degrees the next day. not sure if its because i added more water to ensure the water over flowed the new basket which inturn is closer to the lights making it hotter....but i have LED's ....still running that one down as far as where the heats coming from. gota be the pump if not the heater

Are you seeing an increase in waterflow? The baskets should improve the flow. Maybe too jammed up with filter media and not enough water flowing through? I may upgrade the filter pump eventually as its something I've read a few times is a boon for the tank.

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing an increase in waterflow? The baskets should improve the flow. Maybe too jammed up with filter media and not enough water flowing through? I may upgrade the filter pump eventually as its something I've read a few times is a boon for the tank.
@BlueFish1 i can see a big improvement in water flow with these baskets, so much so that the regular little film i usually have on top of the water is completely gone. the water is much clearer as well.

OP
OP
BlueFish1

BlueFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BlueFish1 i can see a big improvement in water flow with these baskets, so much so that the regular little film i usually have on top of the water is completely gone. the water is much clearer as well.

Well, thats good news and I'm super excited for mine to show up. Stumped on your temp increase.

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thats good news and I'm super excited for mine to show up. Stumped on your temp increase.
@BlueFish1 i'm almost positive its from the lights. the water level has to be 14 inches in order for water to go over the basket and filter. that pretty close to the lights. i touched the lights today before they cut to their evening cycle and they were really hot! im sure that is what it was. i may have to turn the whites down? not sure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back