Transferring Tanks WHAT DO I DO??

nanoDormReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g Truvu nano that was started 5 months ago. It was an old tank that I had around when I decided that I wanted to get into reefing, I recently traded some corals for a Fluval 15-gallon flex that has a footprint much better than my old tank.

So ... I need some advice on transferring tanks. My current plan is to put all the livestock into buckets and then put the livestock into the new tank. The only issue that I am running into is what to do about the sand in my original tank.

I have about 5-10 lbs of live rock.

Livestock:
2 Clownfish
1 firefish
Corals
1 candy cane
1 mushroom covered rock
1 green star polyp colony
1 finger leather
1 Monti cap frag
1 birds nest frag
1 RBTA
3? dwarf hermits

IMG_6879.JPG

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will say dump it and start new and some will say rinse it and reuse it. But at only 5 months old, and it's not a terribly large amount of sand, I'd say reuse it. If you can, With new tank dry, add you rock and add the sand. Fill it up.

If you can't add the rock first, add the sand then water. Then add the rock after the water clears.

OP
OP
nanoDormReefer

nanoDormReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will say dump it and start new and some will say rinse it and reuse it. But at only 5 months old, and it's not a terribly large amount of sand, I'd say reuse it. If you can, With new tank dry, add you rock and add the sand. Fill it up.

If you can't add the rock first, add the sand then water. Then add the rock after the water clears.

took a little longer than I initially expected but it is done. Everything has been moved over to the new tank, I ended up keeping the sand and rinsing it out with some saltwater.

I then quickly designed an aqua scape with my Live rock that have corals on them added sand and original water shortly after and finally my inverts and fish.

so far nothing looks too ticked but time will only tell
image.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far. I'd keep your light intensity down a little for a little while. A couple days at least.

OP
OP
nanoDormReefer

nanoDormReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far. I'd keep your light intensity down a little for a little while. A couple days at least.

okay will do, thanks! my light (ai prime 16hd) is already pretty low on its schedule, I just can’t take pictures of the tank other than with white lights

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 37 28.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back