Transferring to bigger tank

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 50g tank to upgrade from my current Fluval 13.5. It’s been up and running for 3 weeks now with live sand, rock and Dr.Tim’s all in one. I was just curious how to transfer my coral, fish and rock over to the new tank. What would be the best way to do it? I only have 3 fish, 6 coral, and inverts. Any tips would be appreciated thank you!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best way

set up your new tank with water heated and same salinity as your nano

have sand in the new tank settled and ready as your nano runs alongside it

after a few days sand settling in new tank simply move the rocks corals and fish instantly over, leave old sand behind.

you can add in more live rock from a pet store without harm or cycle issues, but if you add in dry rocks expect algae and phosphate curing headaches in the new setup. Actual live rock from a pet store, sold live and wet, can be instantly added to the new tank without consequence and it’d be better than trying to bring up dry rocks in the new tank.

OP
OP
C

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best way

set up your new tank with water heated and same salinity as your nano

have sand in the new tank settled and ready as your nano runs alongside it

after a few days sand settling in new tank simply move the rocks corals and fish instantly over, leave old sand behind.

you can add in more live rock from a pet store without harm or cycle issues, but if you add in dry rocks expect algae and phosphate curing headaches in the new setup. Actual live rock from a pet store, sold live and wet, can be instantly added to the new tank without consequence and it’d be better than trying to bring up dry rocks in the new tank.
Thank you for your help! Yeah I was given rock with the setup but I bleached cured it for over 2 weeks and then let it dried out in the sun and tested it for chlorine.

I bought new live sand and used Dr.Tim’s in the tank. Been running for 2 weeks now, 1 week with a skimmer and filter sock. Temperature and salinity is the same. Bought a light and macroalgae for the refugium, will be coming on Thursday.

But thank you for the reply. Couldn’t get an answer at all on Facebook. big help!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tims bac works excellent. I think its currently the most used bac in the entire hobby and he designed it well, just shy of bulletproof. tested on seneye to allow instant ammonia control.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back