Transition from Vibrant to Chaeto...thoughts?

touchstone88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I'm considering discontinuing Vibrant on my 90g SPS (~14 months old this tank) for several reasons. It seems a good idea in that I'd like to transition the 90g back to a more natural 'cycle'. It's a bit rattling to rely on a supplement for such an investment. Granted, I rely on the Reborn media in my CaRx etc ad nauseum- but it seems healthier for the tank in the long run-to begin growing Chaeto in the Fuge again, yeah?

Any tips or pointers?

Suppose there are several methods, stopping cold turkey, titrate dosing etc.. The whole point is allowing nutrient levels to rise so that a fat chunk of Chaeto doesn't go to pot because its starving. By testing nute levels and alk daily through the process i can keep track of whats what.

Sound like a decent enough plan?

Thanks in advance

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing this every two weeks per the directions, or more often? It’s hard for me to believe that the small amount of vinegar in vibrant could be effective carbon source if dosed that far apart.

What are your phosphate and nitrate levels currently?

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing this every two weeks per the directions, or more often? It’s hard for me to believe that the small amount of vinegar in vibrant could be effective carbon source if dosed that far apart.

What are your phosphate and nitrate levels currently?
I have been using vibrant for few weeks now. When I am done dosing it, I will be switching back to a chaeto fuge as well. Following.

Fwiw, I believe the vinegar in vibrant is used as a preservative, not a carbon source.

Style68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only success I had with Vibrant was killing my bubble algae problem. Other than that (which it is not advertised for) I did not see any improvement in any of the areas it claims to improve. IMHO it may not be worth the expense compared to other alternatives.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to ease your way off of the Vibrant. Organic carbon is not something to drop all at once.

Chaeto is very effective once it gets going. I just run mine under a screw-in CFL and it thrives. You do have to dose iron or do routine water changes or else the chateo will be growth-limited by a lack of iron. It also will not grow as fast with super-high N and P levels (like many inverts), so if you are totally of of whack, a few water changes and some GFO might be a good idea first.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back