Transporting Sharks

regionreef219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a general question I have about how large sharks (or any large fish for that matter) are transported. I am not buying anything large but am generally curious.

Most fish when purchased from a store are in small bags and easy to transport. I was just at a pet store that had 4ft white tip and black tip sharks for sale ($8000 each). If someone was to purchase that animal I have a few questions.

Sharks were in a tank like 20ft by 10ft and like 4 ft deep. How would they get the shark out of there?
What would the sharks be transported in? Would you need a truck with its own tank for transportation?
Do you think they would verify the person had a suitable tank for the sharks to go in?

Just trying to connect the dots on how this shark would be moved. I only have a 40 gallon set up so again this is just because I am curious.

Thanks,

TB

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know when public aquariums move sharks that are of species which can't simply sit on the bottom, they either do it in large transport vats, or they put them in a narrow transport container that has flow constantly moving through the shark's gills. Nurse sharks, cat sharks, and other sharks that can sit on the bottom are much easier- just find a container big enough to hold them.

Some LFS will ask a customer what size their tank is if they're purchasing large animals, but many of them will sell whatever the customer wants, regardless of if it's likely to do well.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone was trying to buy an $8000 animal with very specific care and enclosure needs, I'm Sure the seller would be asking questions..

The company that stocks The lake I was a member of, used to truck the fish down from Idaho to Southern California.

They would show up with trailers with about an 8 ft circular vat that had a pump inside. Creating a circular flow in the fish would just be stationary holding their position. I think you could likely move a 4-ft shark like that as well

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They would be transported on a trailer in a huge vat with jets moving water over their gills as they cannot breathe without moving. Odd that a fish store carries them that large, typically they would obtain pups and sell them at their smallest size. Would a fortune to ship them out like that and would be a huge process with multiple people needed to acclimate that shark and then move into the new tank.

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - they would use a truck with a good sized (500-1,000 gallon) stock tank with air pumps, or basic filtration to transport sharks and large fishes locally. Shipping Large Fishes 4 feet or more across country is possible with a bit better filtration.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back